Organization: NBT Solutions
Title: GIS Honey Badger
Location: Portland, ME
GIS Analyst (Portland, ME)
Posted: November 14, 2016
We are looking for a GIS Analyst/Technician/Data Fiend to execute on a growing workload of geodata creation and conversion projects. Yes this may mean some digitizing, but it also means a whole lot of problem solving and mastering the transcription and conversion of inbound source data into meaningful map-based information. The data sources vary. They can be scanned engineering drawings, CAD files, GIS files, Spatial Databases, Google Earth files, napkins...you get the picture.
This is a unique opportunity...we want someone who is going to come in and operate at times as a solo GIS department, at times with some data crunching support staff, at times serving GeoDevelopers. You need to be confident and very comfortable in any number of desktop GIS worlds, be able to take a data puzzle under the gun and stick with it until it is solved. And then be willing to document the process and return to perfect and automate it. You should be highly organized, able to recognize patterns in messy data, and love to learn new tech. SQL Queries should be familiar at least.
You need to like to talk to clients...and colleagues who are developers. You like to network and be engaged in a professional community both online and in person. You love being part of a small team and don't mind the variety of demands that pop up. You offer ideas and constructively criticize and challenge peers without being confrontational. You have a great sense of humor. You are curious and capable around amazon servers and map services and databases. You are as happy digitizing fiber networks as you are doing 'spatial analysis'...and OK with being a go to data processing expert for data cleansing, geocoding, standardization spatial append, etc. This is not production line work - you have to figure out process and take projects start to finish - sometimes new ones every week. Oh, and you like making maps, both static and interactive - cartography counts.
We'd like to see at least an undergraduate degree in Geography/GIS, ideally some scripting and database exposure, and 3 to 5 years of professional experience. This is a mid-level position with a big upside for career growth for the right person. You will be a key contributor on a small team with growing responsibilities over time. Come take yourself and NBT Solutions to the next level.
The job duties may include:
- Geospatial data compilation, development, and conversion projects;
- Implementing QA procedures;
- Designing and executing field data collection projects as needed
- Interacting with clients;
- Designing and implementing Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) workflows;
- Database schema design and data normalization to support data maintenance and application requirements;
- Editing geospatial data sets in PostgreSQL/PostGIS using QGIS, ArcGIS Desktop, or MapInfo Pro; and
- Contributing to our application development team by preparing data and services for web mapping applications.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of professional experience and at least a Bachelor's degree in Geography/GIS or related and ideally have the following skills and experience:
- Utilities data management, especially telecommunications;
- Use of mobile data collection tools/platforms;
- ETL using FME or similar;
- Creative applications of GIS for business;
- Proven ability to work independently and to be a team player in a small company environment;
- Database skills including relational schema design and SQL fluency;
- Desktop GIS tool mastery; QGIS, MapInfo Pro, or ArcGIS; and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A note describing why you’re interested in working at NBT Solutions
- Examples of your work. Map, code samples, or whatever medium communicates your work best.