Organization: Landcare Research
Title: Informatics Specialist - Service and Project Management
Location: Palmerston North, NZ
Application Deadline: 2017-01-23
We are growing our team
This is an excellent opportunity to join Landcare Research's Informatics Team at a time of significant growth and development.
• have a strong focus on managing the provision of innovative, environmental and geospatial web -based applications
• are excited about delivering applications that meet user needs and engages them
• adept at assessing innovative technology options, and
• are excited by the opportunity to help passionate researchers unlock the potential for their environmental science to benefit New Zealand
then we have the job for you.
Following recent funding successes, our established Informatics Team is growing and needs a person to join our talented team. We are seeking an individual to work in the following areas: service management, project management and technical solutions analysis. This is a great opportunity to tackle worthwhile real-world challenges in the stimulating and rewarding area of cross-disciplinary integrated research and science information delivery.
You will be working with researchers, technical staff and stakeholders:
• Managing the operation of informatics' applications, services and change management
• Uncovering opportunities for informatics solutions to better meet stakeholder and end user needs
• Contributing to the design and architecture of solutions and working with stakeholders to fine-tune these during design and implementation
• Leading technical projects through their full life cycle to successful delivery
• Engaging with technical staff and suppliers to define the best system and platform configurations to achieve business/user objectives
• Staying abreast of technical developments and sector innovations relevant to Landcare Research's science and promoting new opportunities to drive innovation in New Zealand's management of terrestrial biodiversity and land resources.
You will have a relevant tertiary qualification, with related industry experience and competencies in many of the following:
• 4+ years' experience in digital service delivery management including technical analysis, design, implementation, and services operation and maintenance
• Deep knowledge of open source GIS tools and geospatial technologies as applied to web and mobile applications
• Insightful in bringing together customer and user requirements and converting them into project requirements and service designs, using best industry, technical and business practices
• Knowledge of systems engineering concepts including web-based systems architecture, service-based architecture, and enterprise application architecture
• Knowledge of informatics best practice, data and services standards in the geospatial and/or environmental domains
• Good level of practical experience in the use of project management methodologies for IT related projects
• Have excellent written and spoken English and have great communication and interpersonal skills
• Have a blend of technical and 'soft' skills with a pragmatic can-do approach and willingness to pitch in where needed
• Collaborate well in team environments and can be self-reliant when needed.
Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research (a Crown Research Institute) is New Zealand's foremost environmental research organisation. Our research, consultancy, and technology developments drive innovation in New Zealand's management of terrestrial biodiversity and land resources to protect and enhance the terrestrial environment and grow New Zealand's prosperity.
What do you get in return?
As an employee of Landcare Research you will work with passionate and talented people in a caring and family friendly environment. You will get the opportunity to make your mark and influence how digital technology changes our science and its interaction with society, business and government. This position offers great staff benefits and the opportunity to specialise for significant personal growth and career development.
The Team is primarily based at our Palmerston North and Canterbury (Lincoln) offices. This position will be located in Palmerston North and will be fulltime (37.5 hours per week).
For further details about our organisation and the relevance of our science, visit our website: www.landcareresearch.co.nz