Organization: Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc.
Title: GIS Technician
Location: Gainesville, VA USA
Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. is seeking an entry/mid-level GIS Technician (0 to 5 years) to start immediately. This is a full-time position based in our Gainesville, Virginia office.
A Degree in GIS, Geography, Cartography, or Environmental Sciences, and a Certificate in GIS is preferred.
• Generating custom and template maps for environmental and engineering staff using ESRI ArcMap and AutoCAD software.
• Providing spatial data management - which may include data entry, data creation, data acquisition, importing, exporting, editing, geo-referencing, converting and scaling between projections, and editing vector and raster datasets.
• Calculating drainage area divides, performing watershed analysis, historic map research and interpretation, aerial photograph interpretation, cultural/historic resources data management, and land cover classification.
• Performing basic geoprocessing and working on existing python scripting.
• Knowledge in the following software programs: ESRI ArcGIS 10.x, AutoCAD, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Powerpoint, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator.
• Experience with ESRI ArcGIS online
• Desire to learn new skills related to GIS and AutoCAD.
• Ability to read and understand engineering drawings.
• Knowledge of cartographic principles and technology.
• Ability to work independently and with a team.
• Experience in wetland and/or environmental sciences a plus.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to complete short-term projects within tight deadlines.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, transcripts (with degree conferred), and references to Amanda Arms.
Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI) offers exciting projects in a dynamic work environment, and we strive to provide all of our employees with room for skill improvement and knowledge development in a caring and casual atmosphere (our LEED Gold-certified building includes an employee gym and dog kennel). We also offer a 401(k) program as well as Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. Pre-employment drug screen and E-Verify social security number verification required.
We ensure nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need additional information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, please contact our Human Resources Department at 703.679.5600 (TTY/TDD users, call 711). We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.