Home | Jobs | Search

Position Detail

Organization: Entomology, Virginia Tech
Title: GIS developer
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Application Deadline:
Posted: 2017-03-21

Position Description:

Position Summary:
This position supports the information systems component of the National Gypsy Moth Slow the Spread Project (STS), a large federally funded insect pest management program, and, to a lesser degree, components of the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid Predator Release and Recovery Program (HWA). Approximately 75% of the position is assigned to supporting a GIS manager in the development and execution of both web-based and desktop GIS applications. The remaining 25% is assigned to assisting lead developers with two other components of the STS information system: 1) support of a location-aware data collection device (G3), and 2) development, maintenance and operation of the STS decision support system (DA). The position will learn enough of the G3 and DA components to ensure some degree of redundancy in these projects. The job requires some combination of development experience in JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Python, Oracle SQL, and C#.NET.


1) GIS: Assist in the development, testing and deployment of custom mapping applications using ESRI's ArcGIS software and implemented using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript and ArcGIS Online. Assist GIS manager with both routine and custom tasks such as automating routine functions through scripting and creating geoprocessing and/or map services with ArcGIS Server. Maintain and advance existing web applications for mapping, reporting, visualizing, and editing project data.

2) G3: Assist lead developer in testing, maintenance, and continued development of custom applications used for insect population monitoring on a GPS-enabled mobile device. Possibly assist with user support, training, and hardware maintenance and inventory.

3) DA: Assist lead developer with all aspects of the STS decision support system.

Required:
BS or higher in computer science, GIS or related area; Programming experience; Strong communication and interpersonal skills; Some combination of development experience in JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Python, C#.NET, and Oracle SQL

Preferred:
Experience with: ESRI's ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Online, Collector, ArcGIS Pro; remote and on-site tech support, end-user training; inventory management; C# and ASP.NET, C++; location-based mobile application development.

To Apply: https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/
Posting number AP0170084
Contact: Andy Roberts (roberts@vt.edu)