Organization: PACE - Advanced Water Engineering
Title: GIS Intern
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
PACE is a specialized civil engineering firm focusing on advanced water resource services with unique research and development capabilities through our internal laboratories and water related modeling. We offer a wide range of engineering services related to water, wastewater, stormwater management and water resource planning and regulatory compliance to ensure projects are both economically viable and environmentally sustainable. Our engineering approach focuses on maximizing value applying state-of-the art analytical tools and designing water infrastructure systems that include environmental, aesthetic and recreation uses. PACE staff members include licensed professional engineers with PhDs, university instructors and policy-makers in the water resource arena.
We invite you to learn more about PACE by visiting our website: pacewater.com.
Provides GIS support for engineering projects in the field of water resources.
• Utilizes ArcGIS software in water resources.
• Creates mapping documents for engineering staff.
• Provides statistics and analytical support for the engineering staff.
• Collects information using GPS equipment.
• Creates GIS data layers in vector and raster format.
• Maintains and organizes data within GIS.
• Respond in a timely manner to internal and external phone calls, text messages and e-mails.
• Position requires the use of judgment to plan, perform; general decisions are made to solve a problem or select a course of action for a standard or recognized method of operation.
• Must be able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from of co-workers and managers.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and concepts, ArcGIS Desktop/Workstation.
• Competent in using printers, plotters, and scanners.
• Proficient in technical cartographic skills, NT operating systems, and Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Access and Outlook. Experience with PowerPoint beneficial.
• Experience with Trimble GPS equipment a plus
• Experience with ArcHydro, HEC-GeoRAS, HEC-GeoHMS, Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, WMS and/or AutoCAD a plus.
• Motivated to learn skills related to Hydrology/Hydraulics, GIS cartography, and GIS analysis.
• BA/BS degree in Geography, Information Systems, or Computer Science including course work in GIS.
• Preferred Minimum two (2) years of work experience and/or internship in GIS.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; color vision is very helpful.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions while in the field. The noise level in the office work environment is quiet to moderate.
No phone calls, please. No relocation package is offered. Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Type: Non-Exempt Internship could lead to full time position.
Salary Range: DOE