Organization: Arlington Public Schools
Title: Geographic Information System Specialist
Location: Arlington, VA
Application Deadline: 2017-10-09
GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM SPECIALIST
TO APPLY: Please complete the online Administrative/Technical application on the APS website in the Employment section: www.apsva.us
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• A bachelor’s degree in GIS Technology or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training totaling four years, is required.
• Two years of progressively responsible experience in GIS mapping that demonstrates proficiency in:
(1) applying knowledge of principles, methods, practices and GIS layering/mapping and graphic representation to maintain and produce maps and graphics, including thematic maps,
(2) using a full range of GIS hardware and software (such as, but not limited to, ArcGIS) to produce layered, thematic and other types of maps, and using specialized graphics software (such as, but not limited to, ArcGis Online) to create maps and other graphics from source data, sketches, prints and verbal instructions,
(3) using large format plan scanners and copiers,
(4) using document management systems, and
(5) applying GIS standards to produce graphics and maps are required. Education or training beyond the requirements of the Bachelor’s Degree specified above may be substituted for up one of these two years of experience.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK
The Geographic Information System Specialist uses geographic information found in the geographic information system (GIS) maintained by Arlington County along with information found in other databases and data sets to support school planning of various types (such as GIS for facilities management and capacity planning) by Arlington Public Schools (APS). Provides data intensive support for projection of student enrollments, forecast of capacity requirements and planning of boundaries, analysis of demographics (as impacting facility needs), assessment of utilization of facilities, identification of options for redistribution of students or school programs, new school/facility construction, and other facility-related decisions. Serves as key technical resource to staff on mapping and graphics related issues.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
(May not include all duties performed – These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed.)
• Develop and maintain APS school facility GIS database for space management, visualization, and capacity planning.
• Researches and analyzes databases, plans and other drawings.
• Analyzes graphic problems and data.
• Researches information to be plotted from various records and official documents.
• Generates maps from GIS databases.
• Prepares maps to scale.
• Coordinates large drawing/mapping/graphics projects including exercise of responsibility for tracking and reporting progress and ensuring accuracy of work by contractors/consultants.
• Produces complete original maps with thematic overlay and complete documentation using a variety of GIS software.
• Updates and prepares new GIS databases.
• Collects information for incorporation into GIS databases retained by APS.
¥ Provides training in procedures for maintaining and updating APS-specific GIS databases (extracted from the County database) and tables; and coordinates large projects.
• Participates in documenting and developing procedures and techniques for entering and manipulating GIS data in APS-specific databases.
• Uses databases, spreadsheets and other applications to complement information in GIS.
• Performs GIS digital map maintenance routines using standard GIS software such as ArcGIS. Creates scripts or modifies existing scripts.
• Performs quality control checks.
• Prepares written and oral reports of project methods and status.
• Uses document management systems.
• Trains other staff in use of graphics and GIS methods and techniques. May provide ongoing technical advice and assistance to others.
• Stays abreast of the field of work and associated materials, methods, practices, hardware and software.
• Uses and performs operator level maintenance on large format copiers, plotters, cameras and related equipment.
• Ensures adequate supplies, recommends procurement of equipment and materials, helps ensure adequate vendor maintenance service and helps arrange for repairs.
• Uses a computer and modern office suite software in addition to specialized hardware and software.
• Uses a computer and (a) modern office suite software, (b) enterprise software, and (c) specialty software for various purposes.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience working with students, families, and staff from various cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
• Knowledge of, and skill in using,
(1) principles, methods, techniques, practices and equipment of GIS layering/mapping and graphic representation including, but not limited to (a) a full range of GIS hardware and software (such as ArcGIS) and graphic design software (such as ArcGIS Online), (b) large format plan scanners and copiers, and (c) document management systems;
(2) GIS and cartographic standards for drawings/maps; and
(3) numerical comprehension and computation.
• Skill in problem solving. Examples include operating a variety of technical equipment and using a full range of graphic, projection and mapping techniques to produce graphics, drawings and maps, applying a variety of mathematical formulae to GIS problems, helping determine the data sets needed and how to display them for analysis of school enrollment and boundary planning, and suggesting ways to present information content.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with business contacts in a businesslike, customer service-oriented manner; this includes skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and working as a member of a team.
• Skill in using a computer and modern office suite software (such as MS Office).
• Ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of, and then skillfully apply, Federal, State, Arlington County, APS or Department specific data/information, processes, procedures, practices, systems and other standards and guides pertinent to assigned functions.
SALARY: $56,605 to $85,255
Candidates must submit an application online and attach a resume, a written statement of interest in and qualifications for this position.
Please complete the online Administrative/Technical application on the APS website in the Employment section: www.apsva.us
A minimum of three letters of reference must also be submitted.
(Reference letters may be sent in separately.)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY MONDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2017 AND WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED IF ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION IS INCLUDED.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of the Arlington School Board, as stated in the School Board Policy 35-4.4, that employment opportunities shall not be restricted, abridged or otherwise adversely affected on the basis of race, national origin, creed, color, religion, gender, age, economic status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, pregnancy status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, and/or disability.
POSTING NUMBER: P/E17-18.027