Organization: Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI)
Title: Remote Sensing Internship
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Application Deadline: 2017-12-15
The Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI)
(www.mtri.org) located in Ann Arbor, MI, is seeking a remote sensing intern for our Environmental, Transportation, and Decision Support (ETDS) Laboratory. Note that U.S. citizenship is required (see below).
Intern candidate qualifications and desired skill set:
* Significant experience with major remote sensing packages such as ENVI+IDL, ERDAS Imagine, and eCognition.
* Demonstrated experience with programming (such as Python, C++, MATLAB)
* Demonstrated familiarity with statistical analysis and statistics software (especially R)
* Strong familiarity with spatial concepts, including the workflow of preparing and analyzing remotely sensed imagery
* Knowledge of GIS software such as ArcGIS and/or QGIS.
* Skills with editing publications, preparing reports, and cartographic production
* Experience with web page creation and editing
* Comfortable working within a Windows PC environment and familiar with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
* Linux experience is helpful.
* Currently pursuing or recently received a Bachelorís or Masterís degree, with preference to those in environmental/earth science, electrical or environmental engineering, or computer science.
* Recent graduates are also encouraged to apply.
* Ability to obtain a DoD security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship, and no dual citizenship with any other country
* Responsibilities include:
The MTRI remote sensing intern will provide support of research projects within the Institute. These projects include research related to deriving water characteristics of the Great Lakes and beyond, assessment and mapping of Great wetlands in Michigan, forest fire monitoring and mapping with GIS and remote sensing imagery, studies related to management of natural resources in the Arctic, transportation infrastructure condition assessment, developing data collection apps, hyperspectral data analysis, and others. Day-to-day tasks will be diverse. The successful candidate would be expected to help with image data downloads, image processing and analysis, GIS-based analysis, some field work, report preparation, web portal support, and other tasks related to research and analysis of remote sensing data. Field work is occasional during the school year, but can involve frequent travel in the late spring and through the summer internship period. The candidate must be self-motivated, with excellent communication skills (written and oral), strong organizational ability and attention to detail. The candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
* Duration: Semester-Based (Fall, Winter, Summer)
* Hours Per Week: 40 (full-time internship)
* To be eligible for an internship you must:
- Be a student or recent graduate in good
standing at an accredited college or university
- Be majoring or received a degree in a field
appropriate to the job opening
- Have a minimum grade point average of
3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent
- Be a U.S. citizen and not a dual citizen
* The qualifications and specifications mentioned above are intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty. The position will be filled based on qualifications regardless of Race, Color, Disability, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, National Origin, Height, Weight, Age, Veteran or Marital Status.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer, which includes providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
* To apply please send a resume/CV and a letter of recommendation (usually from a recent professor) to:
For information about MTRI and our research projects, please visit: www.mtri.org