Organization: NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
Title: GIS Environmental Engineer
Location: New York, NY
GIS Environmental Engineer
NYC Parks is the steward of nearly 30,000 acres of land – 14 percent of New York City. The mission of Forestry, Horticulture, and Natural Resources is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Under direction of the Wetland Program Manager and GIS Project Manager, with some latitude for independent judgment and initiative, support the Division’s efforts to comply with the Mayor’s Executive Order No. 429 focused on developing and implementing a storm water management program to prevent storm water discharges of “pollutants of concern” through the use of Geographic Information System (GIS) applications and mapping efforts.
• Provide technical and planning assistance to support the division’s role in complying with Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) regulations, pollution prevention, flood, resiliency initiatives and emergency management, through data management, engineering analysis and collection efforts.
• Prepare maps, diagrams and other data and analytical products. Contribute to technical reports for executive level staff.
• Review and digitize sewer records and drawings. Perform spatial analyses to determine drainage areas of MS4 outfalls. Identify Parks-owned facilities, land uses and stormwater management practices in MS4 areas.
• Determine need for and direct field investigations to resolve discrepancies and check outfall conditions and drainage area characteristics, including surveying benchmarks and inverts to evaluate flow directions.
• Conduct, or supervise subcontracted field investigations of smoke/dye testing and CCTV observations for pipe condition.
• Develop, update and maintenance of a robust database of digitized sewer data and drainage areas, documenting changes or additions to MS4 infrastructure under Parks jurisdiction.
• Coordinate with Agency Compliance staff to provide sewer records, mapping data, recommendations for management and support for source tracking in the event that illicit discharges are detected.
• Assist with the collection, storage, maintenance, and dissemination of data relevant to natural resource management; manage metadata and other technical documentation.
1. A baccalaureate degree in civil engineering from an accredited college and one (1) year of full-time satisfactory experience in civil engineering work; or
2. A baccalaureate degree in civil engineering from an accredited college and a master’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college. A master’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college can only be used to substitute for one year of full-time satisfactory work experience in civil engineering.
A degree in any other engineering area, or in any engineering technology area, is not acceptable.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Minimum three years’ experience working on civil engineering design and/or projects related to Geography, Geographic Information Systems, environmental sciences, computer science and other related disciplines such as landscape architecture, forestry or city planning.
2. Extensive experience using the ESRI, ArcGIS 10.x Suite and related computer systems (hardware and software).
3. Knowledge of SQL, SQL Server, querying databases and related analytical methods.
4. Understanding of and experience with landscape and hydrologic analysis for environmental and water resource protection.
5. Engineer-In-Training/Fundamentals of Engineering (E.I.T./F.E.).
6. Excellent communication, presentation and organizational skills.
7. Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently.
8. Ability to work in the field under challenging conditions.
9. A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $65,000 - $78,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 10/23/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 307482
For details about NYC Parks go to www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.