Organization: The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Title: GIS Specialist II
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Application Deadline: 2018-01-24
THE MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK & PLANNING COMMISSION
invites applications for the position of:
GIS Specialist II (13954, Grade EHT)
An Equal Opportunity Employer
SALARY: $55,103.00 - $94,288.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 12/13/17
CLOSING DATE: 01/24/18 11:59 PM
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a GIS professional to serve as the primary resource for the Community Planning Division to support GIS mapping, database development and maintenance, and analytical needs.
As a GIS Specialist II, the selected candidate will work within the Community Planning Division to create and maintain GIS layers and perform geospatial analysis for planning studies, master plans, community outreach, and inquiries.
This position reports to the Chief of the Community Planning Division, but will work cooperatively with the Information Management Division to ensure GIS coordination, consistency and best practices are maintained.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
1. Design, develop, test, maintain, and evaluate major software and web-based GIS applications to support community planning and outreach activities, including training requirements, testing, modifications, documentation, and access/security.
2. Provide support for Community Planning Division GIS databases; provide technical expertise in implementation and maintenance, database design, modeling and data
processing; coordinate efforts to link existing databases with spatial information; design and maintain GIS databases following protocols set by the Information Management Division.
3. Complete report requests, produce map products and reports using GIS software; analyze GIS databases as requested; prepare documentation to include file relations, maintenance procedures, and user documentation; ensure that all documentation is completed.
4. Provide user support; communicate users' needs to management; resolve GIS hardware, software and application problems; and inform users of changes and potential problems.
5. Assist with training of technical staff and users; identify training needs; conduct training and provide technical assistance; respond to users' inquiries concerning GIS software.
6. Stay abreast of GIS related information technology changes and innovations through training programs, journals, and other sources of information.
7. Participate in the development of planning studies, master/sector plans, and other planning and implementation efforts.
1. Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 24 credit hours in cartography, geography, computer science, information management, GIS, engineering, photogrammetry or related field with two years of experience in GIS operating on UNIX, DOS, and Windows platforms, including one year production and/or project management experience in GIS or other related surveying and mapping operations; or
2. An Associate's degree including work in cartography, geography, computer science, information management, GIS, engineering, photogrammetry or related field with four years experience in GIS operating on UNIX, DOS, and Windows platforms.
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
1. A master's degree in geography, GIS, urban planning, or related field.
2. Previous experience in community or regional planning using ArcGIS and CommunityViz© software tools to help people visualize and communicate about the future of their communities.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $55,103.00 to $94,288.00 at the GIS Specialist II level with an excellent benefits package.
The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:Job #13954
GIS SPECIALIST II (13954, GRADE EHT)
OFFICE IS LOCATION:
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, MD 20737
An Equal Opportunity Employer