Organization: Charlotte Fire Department
Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Fire Department
Job Title: GIS Analyst
Job Description: The City of Charlotte Fire Department is seeking a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst. This position will be responsible for providing support and expertise on complex projects, creation of reports/maps, and analysis. May have duties instructing, directing, and checking the work of other GIS and/or technical team personnel. Other responsibilities may include quality assurance and quality control.
Subset of Responsibilities:
1. Work with customers to define the scope and effort for a project and document this in a Scope of Work document.
2. Work with customers to gather business process requirements and system requirements. Document in Requirements documents.
3. Assist in the quality assurance process for projects as necessary, which includes tasks such as developing Test Plans, executing test plans, and doing ad-hoc testing. Document issues in the defect tracking system.
4. Develop workflow, standards, practices, processes, and maintain accompanying documentation.
5. Provide System Administration for the ArcGIS Server platform, ArcSDE GeoDatabases, ArcGIS Online including tasks such as adding users, monitoring systems and backups, creating scripts, services or applications for publishing geospatial web services, loading data, automating tasks, and troubleshooting issues.
6. May instruct, direct and check the work of other GIS and/or technical team personnel.
7. Develop and maintain extensions and applications for use with ArcGIS using Microsoft.NET.
9. Create and maintain Fire specific layers & GIS (SDE and SQL) database design.
10. Possess the ability to develop, maintain, and modify job automation through the use of Python scripting.
11. Responsible for GIS projects that include new development, preparation and delivery of GIS information and mapping requests.
12. Support all GIS needs of Fire specific applications.
13. Lead and/or assist with software installs which may include both GIS and applications used by the Fire Department such as Computer Aided Dispatch System.
14. Troubleshoots and provides client support for both GIS and applications used by the Fire Department.
15. Follow policies and procedures as established by the Information Technology Section.
16. Produce maps and reports as necessary for internal as well as external customers.
17. Maintain street, hydrant, premise, centerline, and other data/attributes required by the Fire Department.
18. Perform related duties as required.
This position requires a Bachelorís degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Geography, Computer Information Systems or a related field and 3+ yearsí experience or a Masterís degree and 1+ year of experience in GIS. Desired work experience relates to using the ESRI ArcGIS suite of products (ArcMap, ArcPro, ArcEditor, ArcCatalog, and ArcToolBox), ArcSDE, and FGDC Metadata creation; GIS development experience with SDE, SQL Server, Python, Model Builder, or VB.NET. Supporting public safety applications such as Computer Aided Dispatch and Records Management Systems, and AVL/GPS functionalities is a plus. Candidate must possess the motivation to keep current in GIS technology. Organizational skills and able to work independently under general direction are essential for this position. Excellent oral/written communication and customer service skills are mandatory.
Negotiable. Hiring salary will depend on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply:
Applicants must apply online.
Conditions of Employment:
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments. Some positions may require the ability to obtain a City Driving Permit. Candidates may also be required to pass a physical examination, polygraph exam, other skill evaluations and background check screens. Criminal conviction checks are required on final internal and external candidate(s) applying for positions with the City of Charlotte.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified Individuals can submit an application online at the following