Organization: Fresno Irrigation District
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Fresno, CA
To apply for this position, please visit our career page at:
Under varying degrees of direction, performs a variety of professional engineering office and field duties and requires a high degree of technical knowledge, initiative and independent judgment. Responsible for the implementation, operation and maintenance of District’s Geographic Information System (GIS); acts as District’s Party Chief on the surveying crews; prepares and reviews reports, legal descriptions, easements, rights-of-way, contract documents, drawings, and other engineering documents; and performs other related duties as required.
This position requires experience and professionalism in performing tasks. The incumbent is required to have a high degree of technical knowledge, supervisory ability, independent initiative and judgment. The incumbent at this level receives only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the District.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
• Regular and consistent attendance
• Create and maintain Geographic Information System (GIS) database for internal departments and public and private organizations.
• Performs pipeline surveys, acts as Chief of Party of a survey team setting grades and staking FID right-of-way.
• Locating District facilities with Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) unit.
• Competent in using SQL, Python, .NET, and other programming languages necessary for supporting GIS.
• Performs various complex GIS analysis and special studies as necessary for District staff.
• Maintains and documents procedures and quality control standards for GIS
• Train and support District staff in GIS use.
• Maintain other Engineering Databases utilizing various software such as MS Access.
• Represent District at meetings and conferences with other agencies, private developers, and the public.
• Serving as a right-of-way agent protecting the District’s rights-of-way and easements.
• Preparing legal descriptions, District agreements and easements.
• Performs cost estimating on projects.
• Prepares the annual crop report and totals acreage within the district by crop.
• Prepares quarterly and annual groundwater reports.
• Performing special projects and provides liaison with other departments.
• Researching District, County and City agreement files.
• Reviewing encroachments and prepares response letters.
• with the contractor for a joint developer/District pipeline project.
• Handling grower, realtor, and attorney inquiries over the phone and counter.
• Making field inspection of construction projects by FID and contractor crews.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education, experience, knowledge and abilities may satisfy the necessary minimum qualifications. A typical way to obtain the education, experience, knowledge and abilities would be:
Bachelor’s degree in Land Surveying, Geomatics, Civil or Agricultural Engineering is required
One (1) year of related technical experience for the GIS Specialist/Surveyor position (which can include an internship)