Organization: New Light Technologies Inc.
Title: Database Administrator
Location: Washington DC
New Light Technologies Inc is seeking a talented Database Administrator to join a team of technology professionals in the Washington DC area building state-of-the-art web applications and data tools supporting missions critical to our nation’s communities, economy, and public safety! Apply your skills with Database technologies to design, develop, enhance, automate, operate, maintain, and manage critical databases that serve critical research and development activities and power innovative data visualization and decision support tools, applications, and data dissemination services to the public. The candidate will work in an exciting multi-disciplinary environment among a team of talented and dedicated professionals in a variety of fields including Information Technology, Computer Science, Geography, Planning and Urban Development, Emergency Management, Economics, and Statistics. The candidate will act as a lead and as a member of a team in operating, managing, and enhancing both steady-state enterprise databases as well as specialized and project-specific databases for a variety of data-driven applications and uses.
• Design, develop, build, analyze, evaluate and installs database management systems to include database modeling and design, relational database architecture, metadata and repository creation and configuration management.
• Maintain the operation of Development, Test and Production databases for multiple deliveries in a multi-vendor server based environment.
• Install and maintain COTS and custom database schemas.
• Develop and manage automated data loading and processing workflows including use of data mapping, data mining and data transformational analysis tools to design and develop databases.
• Provide technical support for database environments including database server troubleshooting, installation, upgrade, performance tuning, development, and scripting support.
• Monitor the performance of production systems and utilize appropriate tools to identify tuning requirements.
• Participate in logical and physical database design and assist application developers in applying DBMS technology
• Define DBMS release upgrade planning including determining data storage and optimum storage requirements.
• Maintain security and integrity controls.
• Manage database backup/recovery processes.
• Assist in documenting database strategies and architectures.
Essential Knowledge & Skills
• Broad technical knowledge of IT, Windows and Linux server administration, client/server, networked, and web-based environments
• Experience with virtualized and cloud computing environments
• Experience managing databases and structures supporting web-based applications
• Experience working with clustered and partitioned database environments
• Experience with data cleansing, ETL, data loading, processing, data warehousing, APIs
• Experience designing database schemas and indexing data for high performance
• Experience with database software (SQL Server, Oracle, PostGres, Hadoop, MySQL etc.)
• Strong SQL (DML/DDL) and PL/SQL (stored procedures/triggers) experience
• Experience scripting and programming
• Experience Managing backup and recovery processes and technologies
Desired Knowledge & Skills
• Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software, tools and Geospatial Data structures
• Experience with ESRI ArcGIS, ArcSDE, Oracle Spatial, PostGIS, etc.
• Experience with multi-dimensional and complex data structures
• Experience with social, demographic, economic, and real-time data
• Familiarity with Agile and Scrum methodologies
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Ability to work in a high-paced environment
• Strong writing, communication, and documentation, presentation skills
• A Bachelors or Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information systems, or other field preferred.
• Candidates must be U.S. Citizens and have the ability to obtain and hold U.S. Government security clearance
How to Apply:
Please send resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (with ‘Database Administrator’ in the subject line).
New Light Technologies Inc., a small business based in Washington DC, provides comprehensive information technology solutions for clients in government, commercial, and non-profit sectors including extensive experience in public safety & emergency management, transportation, urban planning, demographics & economics, environmental studies, telecommunications, healthcare, and other fields. NLT specializes in DevOps enterprise-scale systems development, management, and staffing and offers unique capabilities in IT Infrastructure Modernization, Mobile Computing, Cybersecurity, Big Data Development, Modeling & Analytics, Geospatial Information Systems, and the Development of High Performance Web-based Visualization Solutions.
If you’re looking to join a dynamic company that promotes a strong work/life balance and that leads the industry in providing cutting edge solutions for the government and private sector, you’ve found the place. At New Light Technologies, Inc. (NLT), our team members possess an entrepreneurial spirit, are creative problem solvers and are committed to working hard to exceed client expectations. NLT offers competitive salaries, excellent health benefits and a network of like-minded team members that drive innovation. NLT is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information visit www.newlighttechnologies.com.