Organization: The Sanborn Map Company, Inc.
Title: Geospatial Analyst-Programmer
Location: Vallejo, CA
The Sanborn Map Company is looking to fill a Geospatial Analyst / Programmer position.
Join Sanborn’s award-winning team! Sanborn is looking for a Geospatial Analyst / Programmer to provide onsite technical and analytical support developing and streamlining workflows to prepare and process spatially-explicit datasets supporting National Forest plan revisions, regional vegetation/fuels projects, One Region/One Program of Work, and other geospatial analytical support projects. This requires programming in multiple languages including Python, and R. This also requires advanced knowledge of the following software packages applications: ArcGIS, MS Access, MS Project and MS Excel. The position will be onsite at a government agency located in Vallejo, CA. Minor travel to other offices may be required.
Sanborn’s client is a multifaceted government agency managing and protecting 154 national forests and 20 grasslands in 43 states and Puerto Rico. The agency’s mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or related degree.
• Five years of intensive and progressive experience requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools.
• Master’s degree in GIS is highly desired.
• Natural resource background
• Advanced programming in Python.
• Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS, MS Project, MS Access and MS Excel.
• Proven experience developing and streamlining workflows in ArcPro.
• Experience in mobile GIS technology and applications (designing and implementing)
• Experience processing both raster and vector data.
• Knowledge and ability to work within the ArcGIS on-line environment (web maps and story maps and public facing interactive web maps)
• Proficiency in GIS Analysis and Modeling using ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions.
• Experience developing presentations that communicate analytical processes and results.
• Experience developing cartographic products using ArcPro.
• Experience presenting project/research results to a live audience, in person or online.
• Experience writing technical reports.
• Analytical techniques for modeling and assessing dynamic ecological communities.
• Work-related experience pertaining to natural resource management
• Python programming to compile datasets for natural resource data and pull corporate data from EDW
• Automation, using python, of multi-scale (i.e. ecoregion subsection, forest and bioregional scale) analysis of bioclimatic, vegetation, wildlife and other natural resource data. Also, multi-scale summarization of socio-economic data.
• Development of raster surfaces and lists from supplemental data to produce inputs for modeling ecosystem dynamics, disturbance regimes and other vegetation analytics.
• Develop cartographic products and perform live on-screen presentations to show FS personnel and the public how data sets were created, how to interpret the resultant outputs and present preliminary summary statistics.
• Maintain project information in tracking spreadsheets
• Import and maintain projects in MS Project
• Develop validation data sets to evaluate the accuracy of mapped vegetation attributes
• Generate map products that are legible, consistent, and compliant with 508 policy
• Create internal ArcGIS Online web maps and story maps as well as public-facing interactive web maps in coordination with data contributions from each forest
• Attend meetings and provide supporting map products and explanations to assist with decision making and data exploration
• Conduct quality control and implement geospatial data management best practices
• Design and implement mobile GIS technology and applications using Survey123, Collector, Explorer and/or Navigator.
• Develop data, map products, and workflows for ArcGIS Pro
• Oral and written communication regarding how datasets were generated or what underlying assumptions are implicit in hypothesis tests
• Create a knowledge transfer plan to coordinate ongoing work with government employees or other designated parties. This includes identifying and documenting: project management processes, points of contact, location of technical and project management documentation, status of ongoing technical initiatives, key personnel, and identifying pending actions required of the Government
• Additional project work may be assigned due to changing Regional priorities.
CONTRACTOR PERSONNEL SECURITY AND SUITABILITY REQUIREMENTS
The following forms and inquiries, or their equivalent, will be used to initiate the credentialing process:
• OPM Standard Form 85 or 85P
• National Criminal History Check (NCHC)
• Release to Obtain Credit Information
• PIV card application
If selected to fill the position, a candidate would be required to pass a drug screen and satisfy the requirements of a National Criminal History Check (NCHC) to verify the identity of the individual applying for clearance and to determine the individual’s suitability for the position.
The position may require occasional travel.
Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or possess a current work visa.
Sanborn offers a comprehensive health and wellness program which includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, holiday, PTO, EAP, disability and life insurance benefits.
TO APPLY: Visit our website: www.Sanborn.com to apply for this position. Sanborn is an Equal Opportunity Employer.