Organization: Land IQ
Title: Summer GIS/Science Intern
Location: Sacramento, CA
Land IQ, LLC is seeking a GIS/Science Intern in its Sacramento, California office for a minimum of a 3-month internship. This position is expected to be part to full time (24 to 40 hours per week) depending on successful candidate availability.
Land IQ specializes in providing solutions to challenging agricultural and environmental problems throughout the western United States. Our areas of expertise include water quality and demand evaluation, agricultural systems, soil science, salinity and nutrient management, ecosystem restoration, statistics, remote sensing, geospatial analysis, and regulatory policy. Land IQ helps clients develop high value, scientifically sound, proactive solutions to their complex, large-scale, land-based challenges.
The successful Intern candidate will be responsible for working with our growing geospatial and land-based sciences team comprised of remote sensing/GIS experts and a range of agronomic, environmental, and science disciplines. Applicants must have strong analytical reasoning skills including some basic exposure to GIS and an environmental, geographical, or agricultural science discipline. Land IQ will work collaboratively with this individual to train them on needed work elements.
This is an environmental consulting position requiring the ability to develop analysis approaches/methodology and work within a team to optimize methods. The applicant must have strong communication skills, readily work in a team environment, and use efficient work approaches. The position will be highly centered on GIS work products, efficient data management, and some spatial interpretation of image resources. Some occasional multi-day travel within the state of California will be required.
Office Location: Sacramento, CA
Hiring Timeframe: Immediate
Employment Type: Part to Full time (full time preferred). This is a paid, hourly internship.
Primary Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- Work in a team environment on a wide range of projects, supporting our team of scientists, remote sensing analysts, and GIS analysts
- Organized and methodical with communication and work documentation
- Basic understanding of geospatial challenges and analysis
- Knowledge of land based systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, responsive, collaborative, and the ability to take direction
- Valid CA driverís license
- Ability to travel and remain away from home for up to 1 week on occasion
Education: Near completion of BS/MS degree in a land-based science discipline or GIS focus area.
Years Professional Experience: 0-2
- Experience with ESRI products/ArcGIS
- Experience with large scale data management
- Exposure to native and/or agricultural land-based sciences
- Experience in GIS data editing, GIS map production, spatial database management, and basic spatial analysis/reporting