Organization: Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML)
Title: GIS Technician/Database Manager
Location: Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA
A GIS Technician/Database Manager (Research Associate II, Special) position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML). This position is located at Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA.
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
JBLM is located 9.1 miles south-southwest of Tacoma, Washington, and is a training and mobilization center for all services and is the only Army power projection base west of the Rocky Mountains. The facility is under the U.S. Army Joint Base Garrison, and includes the U.S. Army’s Fort Lewis and the U.S. Air Force’s McChord Air Force Base. JBLM is 90,000 acres with one of the largest remaining intact forest areas in the Puget Sound basin.
• Use available and collected data to develop, implement and maintain maps for environmental
management at the base
• Work with ArcGIS 10+ and various other programs for the analysis of geospatial data
• Collect and manage data from field work
• Be responsible for set-up and maintenance for internet access and use in environmental office at location
• Maintain existing database sets to DoD required standards and ensure deliverable are supplied to
program as requested/needed
• Analyze data to address questions and installation issues
• Work to develop and maintain compliant geodatabases and FGDC compliant metadata
• Collect information to support database requirements and to address installation needs
• Ensure that data is collected at an appropriate level of accuracy
• Differentially correct data and maintain in the geodatabase
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position. Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date.
• BA/BS degree in Geography or Natural Resources with GIS emphasis or closely related field
• One-year post-graduate work experience in GIS, using ArcGIS 10+
• Ability to walk over uneven terrain in inclement weather
• GIS database development and maintenance
• Experience working with GIS applications and digital cartography
• Demonstrated knowledge of ArcGIS software and extensions, metadata development and data transfer
• Knowledge and skills in data collection, GPS
• Experience with LiDAR
• Ability to have creative and innovative solutions to problems
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Be familiar with Spatial Data Standards for Facilities Infrastructure and Environment (SDSFIE) compliant geodatabases and Federal Geospatial Data Committee (FGDC) compliant metadata
• Experience working on military lands
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Annual salary range $40,000 - $50,000. Continuation of the position is dependent on the receipt of funding from the sponsor for GIS/Database management efforts at Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA.
Colorado State University offers a generous benefits package including 24 days of paid vacation leave, tuition credits, excellent health insurance (including vision and dental), and retirement plans with 12% matching. For more information on Administrative Professional benefits, visit http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/.
Prospective candidates should apply online at http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/55605. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than May 7, 2018 for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1) Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement)
3) Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the ‘Official Transcripts’ or ‘Unofficial Transcripts’ slot.
4) Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the ‘Other’ slot.
5) Please upload any license or certifications you have obtained which pertain to this position in the optional ‘Licenses/Certifications’ slot
References – please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce, and complies with all federal and Colorado state laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
See a complete listing of open CEMML positions at http://www.cemml.colostate.edu.
POSITION #: 024323.0001