Organization: ZWORLD GIS
Title: GIS Technician
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Application Deadline: 2018-06-08
The main responsibilities for the GIS Technician revolve around collecting, translating, and maintaining data within multiple databases. A GIS Technician may perform basic geographic analysis and map production under well established guidelines where work is under continual review. GIS Technician works closely with the GIS Analyst position and can assist in working with more complex types of data, which involves using multiple analysis techniques to generate geospatial data and products. In addition, the GIS Technician works with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations. The GIS Technician learns, applies, and maintains proficiency in various hardware and software technology used by the company as well as becomes knowledgeable on the various products and services the company provides.
* Digitizes information and creates, maintains, updates, queries and views GIS data to provide easier access and retrieval of processed information on multiple databases to support valid statistical analysis and accurate map, plat, and schematic making, utilizing methodologies such as trace digitizing, coordinate geometry (COGO), and graphic input from a variety of formats and sources.
*Creates accurate grid references utilizing appropriate GIS software, coordinate geometry and graphics to correspond with the information and/or design drawing, legal surveys, maps and addresses needed to update information for infrastructure mapping.
* Creates cartographic maps, graphics, diagrams, illustrations, imagery, and reports in hard copy and digital formats for company use as well as for other clients and customers.
* Interprets and prepares data such as GPS field data, record drawings, legal descriptions, address information, and regional street network for use in analyzing data and updating various maps and databases.
* Prepares and maintains metadata for all spatial data layers and databases.
* Converts hardcopy-engineering drawings into electronic formats.
* Follows established quality assurance/quality control procedures on GIS data when, entering data, reconciling errors, verifying validity of information, and assign attribute information as appropriate.
* Assists and provides interested parties with specific processed spatial data including reports, maps and charts.
* Compares field and office mapping to resolve incongruous information issues, and may utilize Global Positioning System (GPS) or mobile GIS systems to collect or verify the accuracy of the GIS data.
* Creates and updates various map types using planimetric and thematic mapping techniques and aerial and terrain data, and maintains map collections.
* Utilizes vector or grid overlay techniques to generate new GIS layers from existing ones.
* Performs field data collection techniques and assists with large scale GPS data capture projects, requiring business travel to provide on-site support.
* Assists with company clients/users with GIS questions or supporting items.
* By assignment maintains geospatial data structure within the company GIS Spatial Directory.
* Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
* Completion of at least 9 semester or 12 quarter units of college-level cartographic training utilizing computer assisted design/mapping and/or geographic information systems; or,
* one year of experience performing computer drafting or geographic cartography and spatial data development; or,
* a combination of training, education, and /or experience that is equivalent to one of the employment standards listed above and that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Knowledge of: terminology, materials, and methods used in automated map drafting and related graphic illustration; basic computer graphics and computer-aided design software; basic concepts of geographic information systems (GIS); basic mathematics used in map production, including computation of distances, angles, areas, and traverses.
Ability to: use mapping software, graphics drawing, scanning, office programs, and spreadsheet software; read and interpret complex legal information; follow oral and written instructions; work cooperatively with others; and learn and perform basic field data collection.
Desirable Qualifications: Associate’s degree in Geography or other physical or natural science; coursework or familiarity in land use planning and environmental studies, surveying, navigation and global positioning systems, graphic arts, mechanical drafting and computer aided drafting, engineering, document layout, reprographics, aerial photo interpretation, photogrammetry, web map creation; and/or experience using GIS software.
Send ZWORLD GIS completed Job Application, along with a resume and cover letter to;
Attention: Human Resources
Click link below to obtain Job Application
Successful candidate must obtain possession of a California Driver's License at time of hiring.