Organization: Mason, Bruce & Girard, Inc.
Title: Remote Sensing GIS Analyst
Location: McClellan, CA USA
Mason, Bruce & Girard, Inc.
Natural Resource Consultants
REMOTE SENSING/GIS ANALYST (ASSOCIATE-LEVEL)– MCCLELLAN, CA
About the Position
This position includes image classification, editing of vegetation maps, and GIS analysis. The primary work location is on-site at the US Forest Service Region 5 Remote Sensing Lab in McClellan, CA with occasional field work required for collecting training and map attribute accuracy assessment data. The successful candidate will work closely with a multi-disciplinary team of ecologists and foresters to support the USFS’ Existing Vegetation Mapping Project, which produces mid-level map products using the CALVEG classification system.
*Multiple openings are available for this position*
The Remote Sensing/GIS Analyst will perform the following tasks:
• Manual editing of feature classes to improve the spatial and attribute accuracy of ancillary layers that are incorporated into the image segmentation process.
• Assist with pre-planning for field data collection and qualitatively assessing errors in datasets used for modeling, requiring extensive knowledge of vegetation types and ranges within California’s bioregions.
• Coordination among the team members to assure timely delivery of existing vegetation products. Coordination with the FS program manager and the designated project lead to assure distribution and flow of work.
• Quality assurance and quality control of mapping products shall be conducted at several stages of the mapping process. Manual image interpretation shall be needed to augment training and validation sample sizes of field collected data that are used for assessing model outputs and conducting an accuracy assessment of classification outputs of remotely sensed data.
• Attribution of polygons with regional dominance type, percent cover from above, and tree size class for use as training sites in the classification of imagery is another requirement of the project. The extensive use of multi-source imagery, from spaceborne and airborne platforms, for the interpretation and identification of vegetation dominance types and structural attributes comprises the majority of the SOW duties for this level of support.
• Use of existing ancillary data sets and accuracy assessments to assist in the streamlining and development of vegetation map products is vital to making improvements to revisited (map updates) project areas.
• Knowledge of an object-based image processing package. The user will create or modify scripts based on the mapping area needs.
• Gathering image-to-image tie points or field collected coordinates
• Additional project work may be assigned due to changing Regional priorities.
Fieldwork and data collection requirements
• Occasional fieldwork is required to check the accuracy of the vegetation maps or collect field measurements to support vegetation type and structural mapping projects.
• Field work shall include navigation to preselected plots using GPS, collection of vegetation data, including environmental variables, site history, disturbances, and CALVEG type. Intermediate to expert-level knowledge of the distribution and identification of CALVEG dominance types is essential for accurate data collection and QA/QC. Additionally, constructing bioregion-specific data dictionaries for data collection devices is required for field data collection.
• Post processing of locational data with GPS software and data post-processing is required after field data collection has occurred in order to produce a database that can be used for mapping projects. The field collected data shall be imported into an ESRI feature class template and archived in the data library for use in vegetation mapping projects.
• Plant species identification is required.
To excel in the Natural Resource Remote Sensing/GIS Analyst position, you should possess the following skills, experience, and background:
• Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography, Computer Science, Mathematics or Earth Science. A Master’s degree in any of the same disciplines accounts for one year experience
• Eleven years of intensive and progressive experience in a field requiring extensive use of remote sensing and GIS related tools accompanied by a High School degree or equivalent.
In addition, the following skills are desired:
• Coursework and work-related experience pertaining to forestry, ecology or natural resource management, as well as extensive experience with photo/image interpretation.
• Familiarity with multiple vegetation classification systems, including CALVEG, California Wildlife Habitat Relationships, Manual of California Vegetation, and the National Vegetation Classification.
• Experience using a Riegel (model VZ-400i) terrestrial LiDAR scanner for field data collection using a predetermined sampling and plot design.
Mason, Bruce & Girard, Inc. is a full-service natural resource consulting firm, with expertise in environmental services, forestry, and geographic information systems (GIS). A set of core values guide our work, focusing our efforts on providing responsible, sustainable solutions that meet client needs.
Our areas of expertise include forestry, wildlife, fisheries, wetlands, water quality, and GIS. Our work is characterized by the highest level of client service, the application of the best science and technology, quality processes and results, integrity, and our respect for the natural environment. We provide natural resource consulting services to both industry and government and have done so since 1921.
Join Us/Apply Now
Click here http://www.masonbruce.com/careers/join-our-team/ or visit the Careers section of our website to send us your resume.
Mason, Bruce & Girard is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and we do not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status or consideration protected by local, state and federal laws, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies. Equal opportunity applies to hiring, promotion, training, compensation, and any other organizational action. MB&G’s written Affirmative Action Plan is available to all employees and job applicants upon request.
MB&G is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.