Organization: City of Casper
Title: Utility GIS Technician
Location: Casper, Wyoming
Application Deadline: 2018-07-01
To review complete job description and apply for this position, visit our job opportunities page at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/casperwy
This job will be assigned to Water Distribution and work out of the Water Distribution office, this position will also involve going out in the field GPSing points and gathering water and wastewater information to enter into GIS.
Incumbents are responsible for creating maps, coordinating, and maintaining data related to the City of Casper utilities. Responsibilities may include creating operational reports; adding, updating and deleting data in GIS systems; and maintaining related records. Receives general supervision from Water Distribution Manager and higher level supervisory staff.
This position is driving essential (see driving requirements below).
Typical Class Essential Duties:
1. Enters, creates, and maintains GIS maps, layers, and databases including constructing, editing, and inputting geographic data into City base map layers.
2. Use and incorporate as-builds into GIS database linking drawing to utility features.
3. Designs and generates map viewing and printing templates including exporting maps into various formats and printing maps utilizing plotters; operating global positioning system
(GPS) equipment to locate real world features; and making additions to the GIS database.
4. Performs administrative tasks such as attending meetings, note taking, process review, record keeping, information retrieval and distribution in support of public utilities.
5. Represents the City of Casper by responding to the public, citizens, its employees, and others in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner while continuously maintaining a positive customer service demeanor.
6. Follows all City safety procedures. Reports all accidents/incidents immediately to supervisor.
7. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
Knowledge of:•GIS principles, practices, and structures.
•Customer service principles.
•Map scales and projections.
•Cartographic design and mapping principles.
•Computers and applicable software applications.
Abilities (position requirements at entry):
Use metal detector, prod rod, and shovel.•Operating modern office equipment, software and operating systems/applications, including scanners, printers, and large format plotters.
•Maintain a neat and professional appearance.
•Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
•Follow written and verbal instructions.
•Prepare clear and concise reports.
•Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Skills (position requirements at entry):
Skill in:•Administrative processes.
•Utilizing GPS equipment.
•Operating in a courteous, knowledgeable and tactful manner with customers, staff and the general public.
•Oral and written communication, sufficient to exchange or convey effective information and to receive work direction.
•Operating modern office equipment, software and operating systems/applications.