Organization: University of California, Davis
Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Davis, CA
Spatial Context of Green Infrastructure in an Urban Landscape
The Cadenasso Landscape and Urban Ecology Lab at UC Davis, Department of Plant Sciences, seeks a Research Data Analyst to work on an interdisciplinary project investigating whether green infrastructure is a benefit or a burden for underserved communities in Baltimore, Maryland. Within this overarching goal, the GIS Analyst will be responsible for detailed mapping of existing green infrastructure and classifying the Baltimore study region using the HERCULES land cover classification developed in the lab. It is expected that the successful candidate could work with a variety of data and data types to uncover spatially explicit relationships between green infrastructure and other infrastructural features of the urban fabric and the social-demographic context in neighborhoods that contrast in wealth and environmental conditions.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in geospatial analysis, geography or related field; Certificate in Geographic Information Systems desired.
• Experience using ESRI ArcGIS software suites and the techniques and methodologies associated with geographic information systems, including mapped and tabular data and coordinate systems
• Familiarity with eCognition software a plus
• Willingness to think about and use various spatial tools creatively
• Strong data and file management skills
• Familiarity with spatial statistics tools within ArcGIS
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Flexibility to work both as a team member and independently and willingness to work with undergraduate interns and graduate students in the lab
• Willingness to travel for several days at a time to Baltimore, Maryland, and New York State for project meetings
Duration: This position is full time and the initial offer will be for one year with extension based on performance. Start date is negotiable but on or before 1 July 2018 is highly desirable. The position includes salary and benefits commensurate with experience and demonstrated accomplishments.
To apply: Please send a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and expertise, what interests you about the position and career goals. Include a CV and the names and addresses of 3 professional references that can be contacted. Email all materials as a single pdf file to Mary Cadenasso at MLCadenasso@ucdavis.edu, with “Research Data Analyst” in the subject line.