Organization: Dakota County
Title: Principal Engineering Specialist
Location: Apple Valley, MN
The Transportation Department is dedicated to planning, constructing and maintaining a safe and efficient County transportation system that is responsive to the needs and values of Dakota County. The County transportation system is diverse, comprised of rural highways to major expressways, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, and transit infrastructure that serve over 1 Billion vehicle miles traveled each year to support economic vitality and a high quality of life for County residents.
Dakota County is currently seeking candidates for a brand new position in the Transportation Department. The Principal Engineering Specialist will utilize leadership, coordination, and strong communication skills to accomplish the objectives of the department. This position will work closely with County team members and agency partners to:
• Lead development of our annual 5-Year Transportation Capital Improvement Program (CIP), including the Sales & Use Tax and Regional Railroad Authority chapters of the CIP.
• Lead the management of the information we have available to make sound decisions on how best to ensure our transportation system is safe and efficient for the public. This includes defining how best to integrate this information with our Geographic Information Systems.
• Develop strategy for selecting projects the County should submit for federal, state, and other outside grant funding requests, and assembling the applications for funding.
• Work directly with the public and our agency partners through various projects and studies.
• Coordinate directly with the Minnesota Department of Transportation to meet our annual funding requirements and to maximize our funding reimbursements.
• Participate in regional transportation committees involving regional highway policies, funding, planning and programming.
• One year of specialized or technical training beyond high school in related field and 4 years of specific transportation-related experience; OR
• An equivalent combination of education and experience to equal or exceed 5 years.
• Valid Driver's License
Preferred education and/or work experience in the following area(s): Civil Engineering, Management Information Systems (MIS), Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Planning or Finance.
Preferred Hiring Range: $59,048 - 66,429/year
Full Salary Range: $59,048 - 92,262/year
Visit our website for a full job description and to apply on-line: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dakota/
For more information contact the Dakota County Employee Relations Department at 651-438-4435.