Organization: CALYX Engineers + Consultants
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Cary, NC, USA
Application Deadline: 2018-10-13
CALYX Engineers and Consultants is seeking a GIS Specialist for our Cary office. This position will perform a variety of professional GIS services for the planning group as well as other CALYX service lines. The GIS Specialist will create high-end analytical and cartographic map products utilizing various data types and sources. In addition, this individual will be performing geospatial analysis for maps and reports and a variety of planning services for the planning group. The most frequent and essential work activities include:
- Format and generate a variety of GIS products including maps, map series, standard map templates, shapefiles, geodatabases, graphics, tables and reports.
- Perform data searches and retrievals.
- Perform analysis of spatial data using GIS and analytical software, and provide the results in map, report, or presentation format.
- Update project database with data collected from field, performing tasks such as storing data, project planning, and producing maps, reports, and presentations.
- Georeference digital maps using survey monument, GPS and other data as controls.
- Responsible for the acquisition and distribution of spatial data, in addition to QA/QC of incoming and outgoing data.
- Research and correct problems with data including missing or incorrect spatial reference and attribute information.
- Provide guidance and training to other technical staff within the company as directed by manager.
- Implement geospatial projects and initiatives, which may include Python programming or designing GIS models for automation of manual and repetitive tasks.
- Manage spatial and relational databases, following predefined standards and updating documentation where necessary.
- Operate GIS specific hardware including plotters, scanners, tablets, GPS collectors, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of GIS concepts and desire to stay engaged in a rapidly evolving technological field.
- Excellent cartographic and critical thinking skills.
- Familiarity and ability to work with a variety of data including vector, raster, LiDAR, imagery and CAD.
- Understanding of map projections and coordinate systems with the ability to convert spatial data from one coordinate system to another, using basic geodectic principles.
- Experience with spatial and statistical analysis of various data formats.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts and SQL.
- Collect field data using GPS or other equipment as needed.
- Assist with public involvement activities including the preparation of newsletters, presentations and other public meeting materials.
- Manage the performance of individual tasks or projects and coordinate with a variety of colleagues, clients and agencies.
- Assist in business development and marketing efforts.
- Writing including technical reports, public involvement materials, and meeting summaries.
- Maintain effective and successful communication with team, co-workers, and clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Prerequisites for employment include:
- Bachelorís or Masterís degree in geographic information systems, planning, environmental sciences, geography, computer science, information technology or other related field. Related GIS experience may be substituted for the required education.
- Five to eight years directly related professional work experience.
- Required experience with:
* ESRI ArcGIS 10.x plus extentions
* ESRI ModelBuilder and Python/ArcPy
- Preferred experience with:
* ArcGIS Pro
* ArcGIS Online
* Collector and Survey123 for ArcGIS
* Visualization software and techniques
* NCDOT processes
- Valid Driverís License
For the past 25 years, CALYX Engineers and Consultants has developed a reputation for providing quality services in the areas of roadway and structure design, site and civil engineering, land surveying, building structure design, subsurface utility engineering, construction engineering inspection, transportation planning, traffic services, water resources, cultural resources, and environmental services. Founded on the premise that every project, regardless of size or complexity, deserves unmatched expertise and quality assurance from concept to completion, CALYX has grown from an entrepreneurial startup to one of the most well respected civil engineering firms in the Southeast. In 2018 alone, CALYX has been named an Engineering News Record Top 500 Design Firm (national and Southeast) and was ranked #26 in the Zweig Groupís ďHotĒ 100 Firms (U.S. and Canada). Headquartered in Raleigh, NC, CALYX has 220 employees with offices in metro Atlanta and Columbus, GA; and Charlotte, NC; and Rock Hill, SC. To learn more, please visit www.CALYXengineers.com or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.
To apply for this position and learn more about our company, please visit www.CALYXengineers.com/jobs.
CALYX Engineers and Consultants is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, disability or veteran status.