Organization: Westwood Professional Services
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Plano, TX USA
GIS Specialist - Dallas, Texas
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc., a leading renewable energy and land development consultant, is seeking a GIS SPECIALIST to join our team in DALLAS, TEXAS. Westwood consists of a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients. A successful candidate will come with an entrepreneurial attitude, a can-do spirit, and a desire to help Westwood’s clients and staff succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Web based mapping and spatial analysis are the dominant job duties envision for this position, but will be balanced with a variety of cartography, field staff support, and research and development.
- Develop and maintain geospatial data on desktop and mobile applications. Ensure data meets appropriate data accuracy and content standards for quality assurance and quality control.
- Provide independent data interpretation while effectively maintaining data documentation.
- Create and modify GIS datasets; manage and maintain legacy GIS datasets; and develop and implement GIS-based analyses supporting civil engineering, electrical engineering, environmental permitting, and survey projects.
- Produce technically skilled and detailed solutions to include preparing clear, complete, and accurate representations of spatial data using hardcopy and/or electronic media.
- Core responsibility includes processing data and graphics requests from project team members, and anticipating information needs and presentation format as part of engineering and survey workflows.
- You will primarily work on energy projects, such as electrical transmission, solar energy, and wind energy, but you will also support land projects, such as residential and commercial development.
- Ability to independently manage multiple assignments, determine and set job priorities, and work with limited direct supervision will be key to the success of this position.
- This is an entry level position.
- Must have a degree in GIS, geography, wind energy, or a related field with demonstrated capabilities in GIS.
- Hands-on knowledge of Esri ArcGIS desktop software, including ArcMap and ArcPro.
- Experience using ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Portal.
- Strong understanding of geodatabases and geodatabase applications.
- Ability to work with vector and raster datasets.
- Familiar with GPS data collection and data management, including Collector for ArcGIS.
- Ability to use and edit shapefiles and geodatabases.
- Experience working with different coordinate systems, map projections, and datum’s.
- Familiarity with standard cartographic methods, theories, and principles.
- Experience using Python, ModelBuilder or another common GIS scripting language is desirable, as job duties will include creating scripts to streamline frequently performed tasks.
Preferred but not required
- Previous work in/familiarity with consulting engineers and/or surveyors.
- Experience using AutoCAD and DWG files
- Experience using Google Earth and KMZ files.
- Familiar with LiDAR datasets and usage
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, wind and solar energy, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2017, Westwood received Zweig Group’s Best Firms to Work For and Marketing Excellence awards, ranked on industry top 25 lists, and received recognition for its involvement on award-winning projects nationwide.
How to apply: