Organization: City of Covington
Title: GIS/IT Coordinator
Location: Covington, TN
The GIS/IT Coordinator plans, organizes, coordinates and participates in the development and implementation of the City of Covington geographic information system (GIS) as well as IT responsibilities for the city. The GIS/IT Coordinator position requires interaction between multiple internal and external agencies located within the City and Tipton County to develop the long-term development and enhancement of GIS information technology within the City to meet the mapping needs of departments and citizens. Mapping work includes map production, analysis, database maintenance, data collection, and management of GIS projects within the City of Covington Government. The GIS/IT Coordinator will also be responsible for all areas of information technology for the city. This is an advanced technical classification level responsible for GIS and IT activities on a department basis. Other duties as assigned by department head or City Mayor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES GIS
• GIS concepts and analytical techniques, including digital cartography, data conversion, manipulation and analysis, data structure types and GIS/GPS foundation concepts
• GIS database administration and management principles, methods and techniques, including quality control methods and practices
• Knowledge and skill in the operation of GIS equipment, computer hardware, software, plotter/printer setup, and GPS devices
• Knowledge of GIS related software packages both local and web based
• Knowledge of computer systems and network environments
• Familiar with GIS project management preferably in local government
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES IT
• Responsible for IT systems for the city
• Responsible for purchase, installation, and implementation of computer systems and applications for all departments
• Troubleshooting, repairing or correcting computer printer and other computer related equipment problems
• Responds to computer related issues
• Installs and configures hard drives and other hardware
• Operates and maintains email system
• Responsible for maintaining proper cyber security for all systems
Typically sit at a desk or table; Occasionally walk, stand, or stoop; Occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 30 pounds; Use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity; Regularly drive a motor vehicle; Work for sustained periods of time maintaining concentrated attention to detail.
Work is performed in an environmentally controlled room; Work is performed for sustained periods outdoors and occasionally in hot, cold, or inclement weather; and Work exposes incumbent to possible bodily injury when conducting fieldwork.
• Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in geographic information systems, geography, or a closely related field
• Minimum of three (3) years practical experience with GIS systems, preferably in a local government environment
• Technical background in information technology relative to services and security
• GISP certification preferred but not required
• Full-time Monday – Friday 40 hrs. wk.
• Grade 11 Starting pay $21.63
• One position WORK HOURS/SALARY:
• Full-time Monday – Friday 40 hrs. wk and on call as scheduled
• Grade 11 starting pay $21.63
The City of Covington is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard for race, or, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship or other protected criteria.
All Contents © 1999-2018. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse