Organization: Chesterfield County Local Government
Title: GIS Developer
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Information Systems Technology
Deadline: 5 p.m. April 4, 2019
Chesterfield County Virginia
You will love working at Chesterfield County and we'd love to have you join our team. Civic pride and making a difference are just two reasons to join the Chesterfield County GIS team. Chesterfield County is the fourth largest local jurisdiction in the state of Virginia and a recognized leader across the country for being innovative, delivering high-quality results, and embracing new technology. Awards and recognitions for innovative business solutions, openness and transparency of information have been received annually. Chesterfield County is adjacent to Richmond, the state capital, known for its great outdoor activities, affordable housing, great entertainment, and agreeable weather.
The IST GIS Team:
There are many departments and teams in Chesterfield County government using GIS. The Information Systems Technology (IST) Department has a GIS team that is an important geospatial resource for all county government departments, employees, and citizens. We maintain authoritative databases, facilitate collaboration between departments and with outside partners, offer leadership on data and mapping standards, develop advanced analyses, and offer enhanced capabilities to all GIS users at the county. The team's GIS Analysts and GIS Specialists work closely with other IST teams, including Data & Analytics, Application Development, Infrastructure Support, and Database Administration to provide innovative, dependable, and cost-effective solutions to the county's geospatial needs. Perform other work as required.
GIS Developer Role:
The GIS Developer will be an integral part of the IST GIS team under the direction of the GIS Manager/Architect. An ideal candidate will have an extensive GIS background with years of experience acting as a GIS Specialist or Analyst in addition to development experience. A primary characteristic we will be looking for is a person with an active curiosity to learn new skills and be motivated to grow in this role beyond their current experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Highly proficient in accomplishing typical GIS tasks such as: digitizing data, editing data, managing spatial data, producing printed and digital cartographic outputs, editing data, spatial analysis, and land development management
• Extensive experience with ESRI suite of products, services, and solutions
• Identify and evaluate geospatial requirements, design data models, make recommendations on solutions, and coordinate implementations
• Use spatial and non-spatial data and analytic techniques to gain insights into problems, explore data, generate new questions, and quickly deliver insights
• Create, maintain, and debug automation scripts, engineer efficient work flows, and ensure data quality using Python and other languages
• Design and build Extract Transform and Load (ETL) workflows using Python and other languages to enhance services and interface with non-GIS systems
• Experience with source control, user interface design, web development, SQL query language, data sharing, security, and APIs
• Design, test, and deploy applications for GIS using system development lifecycle, project management, and agile best practices
• Understand concepts of enterprise architecture, database management, geospatial architecture, and use of cloud resources
• Extensive experience working and collaborating in multi-disciplined team
• Graduate from an accredited college with a BS/BA degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Information Systems, or similar field along with experience utilizing ESRI's ArcGIS suite of software products and tools. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
• Have at least six years of experience acting as a GIS Specialist, Analyst, and/or Developer
• Must have demonstrated experience with spatial concepts, cartographic techniques, geodatabases and feature class editing
• Must have experience with development focused GIS work
• Must be able to work both independently and within a team environment on daily tasks and priority projects
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required
• Effective team player providing guidance to others and expanding personal knowledge, skills and abilities
• Must maintain personal mobile technology as a condition of employment.
Pre-employment drug testing, FBI criminal background check and education/degree verification required. This position is subject to working in high security areas governed by the US Department of Justice's "Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy" and therefore requires successfully passing a more stringent criminal background check.
A Chesterfield County application is required and must be submitted online by deadline. Visit careers.chesterfield.gov to view instructions and to complete and submit an application. (804)748-1551.
An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Workforce Diversity
All Contents © 1999-2018. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse