Organization: Fairbanks North Star Borough
Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician
Location: Fairbanks, AK USA
Application Deadline: 2019-06-24
POSITION TITLE: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician
STATUS: Perm Term
SALARY: 9A $24.90/hr.
UNION STATUS: 01 APEA
REPORTS TO: Digital Services Director
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
CLOSING DATE: 06/24/19 9:00 pm AK
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician position supports the Borough’s GIS program. The position fulfills identified mapping and data requirements through the creation, modification, maintenance, and analysis of various GIS datasets. The position assists with the GIS database maintenance and supports the Borough’s web GIS applications and services. The GIS Technician provides GIS project support and GIS technical support to Borough staff.
1. Implement standards and procedures in support of the Borough’s GIS program.
2. Maintain awareness of GIS best practices applicable to the Borough’s GIS program.
3. Support GIS database configuration, administration, synchronization, and quality control.
4. Support the Borough’s web GIS content and delivery.
5. Support the Borough’s land records data model by updating, revising, and maintaining GIS datasets through interpreting and mapping of legal descriptions, deeds, titles, and plats recognized by the Borough.
6. Support the Borough’s GIS data and project needs. Complete incoming Borough GIS requirements based on impact, urgency, completeness, and feasibility.
7. Provide technical GIS support to Borough staff.
8. Generate material products in support of the GIS program and the Borough mission.
9. Develop and implement programming scripts to automate GIS processes.
10. Assist with GIS software installations.
11. Collect, process, and analyze field data using Global Positioning System (GPS) hardware & software.
12. Assist with processing imagery, elevation, and real-time GIS data.
1. Associate’s degree in GIS, Geomatics, Geography, Engineering or comparable field. The degree requirement may be substituted by either two (2) years of experience as a GIS Technician or comparable position, or a combination of a Vocational Certificate in GIS and one (1) year experience as a GIS Technician or comparable position.
2. Two (2) years of experience beyond the degree requirement as a GIS Technician or comparable position preferred.
3. Ability to effectively communicate GIS concepts and functionality with technical and non-technical individuals.
4. Knowledge and experience on one or more of the following public sector functions is preferred: Assessing, Land Management, Platting, Planning & Zoning, or Public Works.
5. Experience with the functionality of a web GIS platform preferred. Experience with applicable ESRI software preferred.
6. Experience with geodatabases, relational databases, and versioned editing preferred.
8. Experience with the creation, maintenance, and modification of GIS feature datasets and experience with the application of imagery, elevation and real-time GIS data. Experience with applicable ESRI software products preferred.
9. Ability to perform professional-level cadastral mapping by interpreting and relating various legal descriptions, deeds, titles, and plats preferred.
10. Familiarity with the operation of GPS hardware & software. Demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of geodetic coordinate systems, such as latitude/longitude and State Plane Coordinate Systems.
11. Demonstrated ability to prepare and present technical reports in a clear, concise, and effective manner, both orally and in writing.
12. Ability to work effectively and courteously with co-workers, the general public, and other agencies & organizations to perform assigned tasks.
13. Creative problem-solving abilities and personal initiative, including the ability to carry out assignments with minimal supervision.
14. Demonstrated ability to operate in a MS Windows environment and experience with a variety of MS Office suite programs (MS Word and Excel required; PowerPoint or other presentation software preferred). Familiarity with a variety of drafting & mapping equipment or tools such as a large format plotter, scanner, copier or microfiche reader.
15. PREFERRED: Ability to have and maintain a valid driver’s license and to meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough’s insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUESTED AT TIME OF HIRE.)
16. A PROFICIENCY TEST MAY BE ADMINISTERED.
17. This position requires a criminal background check.
Frequent interdepartmental business contact, infrequent public contact, and occasional contacts involving outside organizations/agencies.
Does not supervise; Experiences many minor problems daily, with an occasional major one, little immediate supervision is required, must use own initiative in handling most problems; the consequences of error, carelessness or mistaken judgment require normal effort to recover.
General office where conditions are pleasant; work area where accidents/hazards are negligible; minor accident probability while conducting field work; requires short periods of moderate lifting, pushing or pulling (26-50 lbs.).
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. Online applications can be located at www.fnsb.us then click on the “JOBS” tab.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907) 459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician Link:
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse