Organization: McCormick Biological, Inc.
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Bakersfield, CA
McCormick Biological, Inc. (MBI) is a biological consulting firm based out of Bakersfield, CA, that specializes in the biological resources of the San Joaquin Valley and surrounding areas. We are seeking applicants for a full-time regular position.
General Job Description:
Under the supervision of the Principal Biologist, the GIS Specialist will develop workflows and processes, and develop solutions for integration, transformation and deliverables that meet the needs of the client and project. This role requires demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and recommend or make decisions regarding the best path for data development and processing. This will include working with, and meeting with, internal teams and with the client to define data needs, project requirements, required outputs, or to develop applications. Project work will involve process improvement, quality control, data creation from spatial and tabular source, conversion, migration, and maintenance. The candidate must be able to coordinate, plan, and support simultaneous tasks and GIS projects; query data; prepare and deliver reports to project managers and others; use geospatial data in the creation and production of GIS maps and data; and communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. In addition, the candidate will gather, analyze and integrate spatial data from staff and determine how the information can be displayed using GIS and Web applications with mobile capabilities. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
• Graduation with or currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year college or university with emphasis in GIS, Geography, or a related field.
• Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office and ArcGIS software, including Collector for ArcGIS.
• Expertise in GIS techniques for collecting, managing, and sharing data.
• Ability to effectively report and visualize information.
• Knowledge of and ability to assess spatial and non-spatial data, database models and client needs to develop data management solutions.
• Experience with creating and editing GIS data, and designing and maintaining GIS databases and other database formats, such as Microsoft Access.
• Ability to reduce complex data management challenges to useful workflows, processes and methods in verbal and written communication.
• Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and make decisions.
• Possession of a valid state-issued driver’s license (or ability to obtain a license) is required.
• Reliable transportation to and from MBI’s office.
• Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of employment.
•Employment is conditional on successfully passing a drug test administered at an off-site laboratory.
•Position is subject to educational and criminal background check.
• Previous GIS work experience with a biological consulting firm or agency, including geospatial analysis in support of biological permitting, field surveys, construction compliance; and field data collection such as water features (wetlands and waterways) and rare, threatened, or endangered species occurrences or habitats.
• Ability to quickly learn new skills and abilities in database technologies, data modeling, scripting and coding as needed.
• Expanded knowledge of GIS practices and methodology.
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, including active listening.
• Ability to work cooperatively in team situations, or independently, in a fast-paced high turnaround project environment.
• Ability to arrive at the office and be ready for work as assigned.
• Ability to work under supervision and be self-directed when needed.
• Exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership (willing to train, mentor and lead others, and be open to coaching and feedback).
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to operate a Windows-based computer for data processing and/or accessing the Internet.
• A working cell phone or land line for daily communications.
• Bakersfield, CA
• Full time hourly, Regular, Non-exempt
• General expectation is 40 hours per week, (Monday–Friday); overtime may be available
• Sick leave, health insurance, paid time off, Simple IRA plan, etc.
• Employees will be provided with a $10 per month cell phone use stipend, and company vehicle transportation to and from field sites.
Interested candidates should download an application from our Web site:
• Go to www.mccormickbiologicalinc.com/employment.
• Scroll down and click “Apply Here” to download an application.
• Do not fill out the application using a Web browser, instead, download the PDF and fill it out using Adobe Reader.
• When you’re done filling out the application, click “Submit” at the bottom of the form, and attach your resume and cover letter to the email that is generated before you submit. If you encounter problems with the "Submit" button, please send your materials to [email protected] instead.
• You will receive a confirmation email when your application has been received.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse