Organization: Yavapai County GIS
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Prescott, AZ
Application Deadline: 2019-07-17
Under general direction, maintains the County's GIS data and provides expertise, support, and guidance to County staff and the public.
Major Duties, Responsibilities
Design and edit integrated GIS systems; perform complex editing tasks. (40%)
Generate hard copy specialty maps and GIS data requests as needed by the public, county GIS partners or county employees. (15%)
Compile, integrate, and analyze spatial and non-spatial data from multiple sources. (15%)
Work closely with end users to identify GIS requirements, technical issues, and solutions using research and analytical skills. (15%)
Provide technical assistance to GIS users and assist in the maintenance of GIS data using standards as provided by the GIS Department. (10%)
Perform other job related duties as assigned. (5%)
• Provide accurate, prompt, knowledgeable and courteous support with regard to GIS problems or information requests.
• Demonstrate ability to research and interpret conflicting and/or ambiguous documents, maps, and drawings.
• Successfully manage projects from inception through implementation and evaluation.
• Advise immediate supervisor or director of GIS issues affecting the department.
• Maintain knowledge in areas of application design to ensure the county does not encounter technical inefficiencies.
• Establish quality control procedures and techniques to ensure the validity and accuracy of County GIS data layers, including the use of topology tools.
• Interact effectively with outside local Cities and Towns, State and Federal agencies.
• Communicate effectively and professionally through written correspondence and oral communication and demonstrate the ability to convey GIS/spatial information to non-GIS/technical people clearly.
One year experience working with GIS technologies or related field.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, or related field.
Other Skills, Preferences
Work occasionally involves contacts with persons beyond immediate coworkers generally regarding routine matters for purposes of giving or obtaining information that may require some discussion. Outside contacts take the form of service to the public (citizens, government agencies or vendors) requiring ordinary courtesy in providing normal assistance to provide information.
Basic knowledge of industry standard GIS software and technology, web based software, relational database technologies and experience in cartographic principles. Proficiency with ArcGIS Desktop 10.x; and supporting software such as AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel, and Access. Knowledge of geography and various methods and references common to GIS applications, such as coordinate systems, coordinate geometry (COGO), and mapping standards.
• Prior experience with 9-1-1/emergency response operations, data acquisition and county government operations preferred.
• Manipulates data and relates attributes to merge into Next Generation 911 format. Coordinate with neighboring data sources to assist in building a state-wide dataset for 911 mapping.
• Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
• Analyze and convert multiple sources of data into a single data source for Next Generation 911 mapping
• Designs and conducts Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures on mapping data base on National Emergency Number Association (NENA) i3 standards.
• Coordinates the activities of the Department with all local police, fire and EMS departments that it serves
• Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships with department employees and in other departments, to facilitate both County and State objectives. Tactfully and effectively handles requests, suggestions and complaints from other.
• SQL/python language skills is a plus
Please contact Yavapai County Human Resources at 928-771-3252 for further questions.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse