Organization: City of Midland
Title: GIS Coordinator
Location: Midland, Michigan, USA
Application Deadline: 2019-08-22
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining an innovative, reliable and user-friendly Geographic Information System (GIS) for the City, including all GIS-related maps, data, databases, software, hardware, servers and websites. This position serves in two capacities: as overall program coordinator and management assistant to the Manager of Information Services, and as a hands-on technician.
Under the general direction of the Manager of Information Services, the employee in this position is responsible for the overall coordination, development, implementation, operation, maintenance and training for the Cityís Geographic Information System (GIS). This position is accountable for day-to-day operations, data creation and editing, end-user training, project planning and implementation, database design, coordination with outside organizations, resource identification, software development and all other related duties.
Examples of Job Duties:
The following is intended as a brief description/illustration of the duties, responsibilities, and requirements of this position and are not intended to be all encompassing or all-inclusive.
1. Assists Manager of Information Services in the development of short and long-term goals for City and community-wide uses of GIS.
2. Evaluates and recommends resources necessary to implement and maintain the GIS, including software, hardware and network infrastructure.
3. Coordinates the development, maintenance and utilization of the Cityís GIS base map and associated layers. Develops plans for testing and implementing new systems and system enhancements.
4. Establishes and maintains databases associated with all GIS layers.
5. Gathers, coordinates, and integrates data from various sources. Ensures data integrity of the GIS. Responsible for data entry into the GIS.
6. Ensures proper interface and integration of GIS with other software applications.
7. Manages the various aspects of GIS, such as automated mapping, facilities management, computer-aided drafting (CAD), geometric computations, cartographic and thematic mapping, and graphic modeling.
8. Assists user departments and outside organizations in the production of maps and related geographic data. Consults with user departments regarding GIS needs and requirements and advises of appropriate options. Advises departments on costs associated in the production of GIS products.
9. Serves as the lead person in researching and investigating new technologies in the GIS field.
10. Provides timely delivery and quality of GIS services.
11. Provides assistance and training in the proper use of GIS data and systems.
12. Monitors GIS utilization and prepares reports.
13. Recommends and implements appropriate revisions to processes and procedures.
14. Acts as work group leader and assigns GIS project-related tasks to staff on behalf of the Manager of Information Systems. Supervises the day-to-day activities of department interns and co-ops.
15. Monitors the performance of consultants in the development and integration of the GIS and makes recommendations on consultant contract renewals.
16. Works closely with City user groups and committees to ensure all GIS goals are met, and makes recommendations as appropriate.
17. Represents and advocates for City GIS interests to various governmental and professional GIS related agencies, and to the community as needed.
18. Establishes and maintains appropriate security measures for data, programs, and equipment.
19. Writes complex scripts and software to manipulate and appropriately display GIS data.
20. Ensures adequate data backups are performed and are usable in the event of a required restore or disaster.
21. Develops policies, procedures and standards relating to GIS system maintenance, operations and services.
22. Maintains appropriate documentation of systems, software, inventory of software licenses, operations, procedures, and training to ensure integrity of the GIS.
23. Stays abreast of new and emerging trends and changing technologies in the field of GIS and reads pertinent industry publications. Attends training, meetings, and conferences as required.
24. Supports core values, mission and goals of the department and the City of Midland.
25. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Bachelorís degree in geography, civil engineering, computer science or urban planning with an emphasis in GIS required.
2. Minimum four years of progressively responsible GIS systems experience, including equipment, databases and software.
4. Experience with ESRI products required.
5. Possess human relation skills to provide excellent customer service and guidance to internal customers and the public.
6. Highly effective and creative problem-solving skills in a technically complex environment.
7. Ability to carry out assignments both independently and as part of a work group. Ability to lead a work group and achieve results.
8. Aptitude to learn and master new software.
9. Ability to create and administer policies and procedures.
10. Ability to stay organized and balance many conflicting deadlines and unforeseen events.
11. Ability to work well under pressure.
12. Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully, both in writing and verbally. Ability to make group presentations.
13. Ability to set and work within a budget to reach project goals.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Administrative and supervisory experience preferred.
2. Experience operating small unmanned aerial vehicles preferred. Remote pilot license also preferred.
Other Requirements of the Job:
1. Possession of a valid motor vehicle operatorís license issued by the State of Michigan and must maintain a good driving record as a condition of employment.
2. Ability to serve in an on-call capacity when assigned to provide 24-7 technical support. Must be able to work occasional evenings, weekends and overtime when assigned.
3. Must be able to successfully pass City safety and equipment training programs as required.
Official online application can be located on the City of Midland's website: www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/careers
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse