Organization: Tall Timbers Research
Title: Remote Sensing Specialist
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Remote Sensing Specialist
Tall Timbers Geospatial Center
About Tall Timbers Research Station & Land Conservancy ̶ The mission of Tall Timbers Research Station & Land Conservancy is to foster exemplary land stewardship through research, conservation and education. Our primary research focus is the ecology and management of fire-dependent ecosystems and wildlife, including bobwhite quail, in the Southeastern Coastal Plain. Our conservation efforts are dedicated to helping protect the distinctive rural landscapes and traditional land uses of South Georgia and North Florida. Our Tall Timbers Land Conservancy is an accredited land trust, protecting over 127,000 acres of high quality habitat in North Florida and Southwest Georgia.
• Apply GIS and remote sensing principles and methods to analyze data and solve geospatial problems for projects involving natural resources.
• Analyze image data primarily acquired from Landsat, using statistical analysis software, image analysis software, or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as ArcGIS, ERDAS, ENVI, GDAL and Python to evaluate and analyze data obtained from remote sensing systems.
• Document and develop results from both basic and applied scientific and technical research for use in technical reports and publications.
• Work on variety of projects in support of Geospatial Center at Tall Timbers
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Remote Sensing, GIS, Remote Sensing / GIS Integration, GIS Modeling & Simulation, Spatial and Biophysical Modeling, Fire Behavior Modeling, Computer Mapping and GIS Applications for Natural Resources
• Experience in Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) collection and processing
• Programming experience in Python, EML, IDL or similar to automate processes
• Ability to work across multiple technology disciplines
• Experience planning and managing GIS projects
• Strong organizational and data management skills
• Desire to continue learning in the fields of remote sensing, spatial analysis and conservation science
Minimum Training and Experience
• BS in remote sensing, geospatial science, GIS or physical science or similar with specific coursework or relevant work experience in remote sensing, image processing, GIS, geography, forestry ecology of fire behavior; This position requires: 1) Professional knowledge of the theories, principles, concepts, practices, standards, and methods of geography and natural resources to assume duties related to the analysis of relationships between various natural resources, and apply established geospatial analysis processes, protocols and solutions to support project objectives; 2) Knowledge of geospatial technology (e.g., ArcGIS; image processing; remote sensing) sufficient to apply established methods and procedures; 3) Skill in programming languages used for data analysis and processing (e.g., Python, Matlab, R, GDAL); 4) Knowledge of cartographic principles and conventions sufficient to create maps for internal and external use displaying natural resource data, highlight particular analysis results, and convey basic geospatial information. and network equipment.
• Ability to document and convey technical information to technical and non-technical users in written reports and oral presentations.
• Willingness to learn new concepts and skills.
Reports to GIS/Information Technology Program Director Email: [email protected]
* Application Requirements:
o Cover Letter
o Minimum of 3 professional references with current contact information
o Current salary or acceptable salary range
** Only email applications and questions about the position. No phone calls please.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse