Organization: WWF Washington, DC
Title: Conservation Data Scientist - 20047
Location: Washington, Dist. Columbia, United States
World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world's leading conservation organization, seeks a Conservation Data Scientist at our Washington, DC office with a possibility of the San Francisco office. The conservation data scientist provides data analytics support with expert knowledge of data and GIS ranging from data acquisition, management, manipulation and presentation. They have broad experience with obtaining and processing data including spatial analysis for conservation in support of Global science and the WWF network.
Key Responsibilities (80% time)
- Analysis: Perform data analysis for select projects; applying advanced statistical and spatial analysis and programming as necessary to answer science questions. Works closely with scientists to deliver this.
- Data: Manages, maintains and curates spatial and non-spatial databases and keeps abreast with relevant data sources. Sources and provides data needed for analysis.
- Visualization: Produces visually compelling data visualizations to communicate science and conservation issues.
Secondary Responsibilities (20% time)
- GIS software licensing: Manages GIS software licensing and distributes software licenses to all users in the Network. Coordinates with software vendors to obtain and renew licenses and to handle support requests.
- Hardware and software: Manage and maintains GIS software and hardware resources including servers, plotters, workstations and laptops. Advises on data and GIS-related hardware requirements and works with IT to deliver hardware as required. Ensures that shared resources like plotters and computers are properly maintained and operational
- GIS Servers and online mapping: maintains GIS servers (ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS online) by keeping software up to date. Maintains knowledge of other non ESRI mapping platforms for use as needed.
- And any other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- A bachelor's degree in data science or related field
- 6 to 8 years program or other professional experience
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of conservation data with ability to quickly find and evaluate data and prepare for analysis
- Experience using cloud-based technologies, with Google Earth Engine being a plus
- Expert knowledge of GIS (both desktop and online) and methods for manipulating, processing and analyzing spatial data including modeling and land cover analysis Ability to create visually compelling visualizations quickly and accurately
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface between WWF staff, decision makers, and the ability to provide clear and patient instruction.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
Knowledge open source software such as QGIS
- Knowledge of Python programming for modeling and automating GIS analysis and database management
- Knowledge of Remote sensing and image processing
- Knowledge of statistical analysis principles and software (e.g. R) and ability to apply to spatial analysis
- Submit cover letter and resume through our Careers Page, Requisition #20047
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone
As an EOE/AA employer, WWF will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/9gnky36td5kf4k7m
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse