Organization: Pacific Crest Trail Association
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Sacramento, CA
Application Deadline: 2020-12-05
The mission of the Pacific Crest Trail Association is to protect, preserve and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail as a word-class experience for hikers and equestrians, and for all the values provided by wild and scenic lands. To support our mission, we have invested in our staff, technology, and external support. A robust GIS program has been a key system missing in our work until now. We are hiring our first permanent full-time GIS Specialist to help us reach our goal of creating, implementing, and managing comprehensive, organization-wide GIS solutions.
In this position you will have the opportunity to:
• Serve as the authoritative source for and management of PCT spatial data, and to leverage GIS solutions to inform and support PCTA’s programmatic work towards its strategic goals
• Design, develop, and manage large complex data systems in close collaboration with federal and state agencies.
• Set standards and develop training materials for how GPS data will be collected
• Serve as data manager, designing quality assurance and quality controls (QAQC), metadata standards, etc.
• Maintain the dynamic PCT land inventory as land ownership and status are key to strategically planning land acquisitions
• Develop a system and tools for tracking trail conditions and maintenance history that are key to making annual and long-range work plans
• Conduct viewshed analyses to assess emerging potential impacts to the trail
• Produce high-quality visual information and media to better connect and engage diverse audiences in PCTA's program work
• Manipulate statistical and spatial data, perform complex analyses, and interpret results to inform key strategic decisions for program areas including land acquisition, trail protection, trail management, visitor use, advocacy, and philanthropy
• Occasionally travel including visits to represent the PCTA and collect data from the field; attend, conduct or support training; coordinate and work with agency partners, staff, and volunteers.
What makes you a great fit for this position?
• You absolutely love GIS work and it’s accurate, well-organized, detailed data, and your enthusiasm for it is contagious. You love working with others on how to apply GIS effectively to everyday work.
• You take pride in intentional, thorough training and support of your colleagues.
• You thrive on building and maintaining complex data systems, solving problems, and tackling new multi-faceted challenges — and you know when it's time to ask for help.
• You enjoy managing a large variety of systems and projects across multiple program areas.
• You know you can translate the back-end system functionality to front-end users so that it’s understandable.
• You want to work within a team that invests in you and challenges you to do your best.
• You have at least five years of experience within GIS.
Job Specifications and Benefits: The GIS Specialist works out of the Sacramento, California office under the direction of the Director of Trail Operations. This position is eligible to telecommute (West Coast preferred). Starting salary is $55,000 and is negotiable based on level of experience. Benefits include paid holidays, vacation, sick time, and health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance. Eligible for 401(k) plan after one year of employment.
To Apply: Submit application by December 5. E-mail resume and letter of interest to [email protected] with the subject “GIS Specialist”. PCTA is committed to protecting the health and wellness of our staff. To help ensure the safety of our staff and applicants, interviews will be conducted virtually. Interviews will be held December 14 and 15 with a negotiable start date in January. For a full job description and more information about Pacific Crest Trail Association visit www.pcta.org. For questions, contact Jennifer Tripp at (916) 285-1853.
EEO Statement: PCTA is an equal opportunity employer. PCTA policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or perceived race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, arrest record, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse