Organization: City of Mesa
Title: GIS (Geographic Information System) Specialist
Location: Mesa, AZ, United States
Application Deadline: 2021-02-04
The City of Mesa is a great place to work! In addition to competitive salaries, the City also has a generous amount of other benefits available. For more information, please see our website: http://mesaaz.gov/benefits/
GIS (Geographic Information System) Specialist
($59,685.89 - $88,566.40 Annually)
The current vacancy is in the Parks, Recreation, and Community Facilities Department; however, this recruitment will be used to establish a Citywide list to fill possible future vacancies.
First review of applications will be on Monday, January 25, 2021.
A GIS (Geographic Information System) Specialist creates, develops, and maintains GIS databases, shape/coverage/layer data, and linkages to various databases. A GIS Specialist may be assigned to a department or unit, and coordinates GIS data or information that may have specific department/unit or Citywide implications. Duties include entering data into the GIS, providing GIS support to an assigned area, graphic and data QA/QC, creating reports, and producing maps.
The GIS Specialist performs programming and analytical project responsibilities which include: planning, developing, analyzing, and performing quality control functions to geographic related systems in support of the City’s GIS; and may provide guidance and instruction to other City employees on GIS applications and practices. By assignment, this class may supervise or mentor GIS Technician classes. This class performs related duties as required.
This class is supervised by a GIS Supervisor, IT Engineer II, Management Assistant II, Information Systems Coordinator, or administrative supervisor, depending on assignment. By assignment, this class may be required to be available on a 24-hour basis to cover emergency situations.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
• Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors’ degree in GIS, Geography, Planning, Engineering, Computer Science, or closely related field
• Good (1 - 3 years) experience working with GIS or a closely related field
• A minimum of one-year experience in any of the following: ESRI technologies (ArcGIS Desktop and extensions, ArcGIS Server, ArcObjects), Intergraph, Microstation, personal geodatabases, or AutoCAD
• Experience in using Microsoft Windows 10 or higher
Substance Abuse Testing: Due to the safety and/or security sensitive nature of the assignment, individuals in this classification shall be subject to pre-employment or pre-placement alcohol, drug and/or controlled substance testing as outlined in City policy and procedures (Police Department Assignment)
• Proficient in the ArcGIS software packages and software including ArcGIS Server, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and the ArcGIS Online suite
• Experience in using several ESRI extensions including Model Builder, Data Reviewer, PythonWin, MapObjects, ArcSDE, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, and 3D Analyst, as well as ESRI mobile products such as Collector, Explorer, AppStudio and other ArcGIS Online related applications
• Experience in Visual Studio, C#, CityWorks®, Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), or Data Interoperability
• Experience with Microsoft products such as Access, Excel, SQL, and SharePoint is also desirable
• Must possess a valid Class D Arizona Driver’s License by hire date (by assignment)
• Because of the confidential, sensitive nature of Public Safety assignments involving information systems, successful completion of an extensive background investigation and polygraph may be required (by assignment)
Please refer to the link below for the full job description and additional information regarding assignments, preferred qualifications, and essential functions.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Must apply by 2/04/21. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mesaaz/jobs/2945413/gis-geographic-information-system-specialist?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse