Organization: American Forests
Title: Senior GIS Manager
Location: Washington, DC
The GIS manager will be a part of American Forests (AF) Operations team, reporting directly to the Director of GIS and Technology. The manager will provide hands-on leadership on a broad range of mapping and analysis at AF as well as expanding their reach across the organization to delivering broader data and technology services.
This role provides a great opportunity for an early career professional to utilize multiple technology skills and explore opportunities to specialize at a rapidly growing mission driven non-profit. The ideal candidate will have education and work experience with expertise in geographic information systems, databases, and object-oriented programming.
Required Experience, Education & Skills
- Bachelorís degree in geography, computer science, engineering or a related field
- 2-4 years of related working experience- advanced degree can substitute for experience
- Proficiency with the ArcGIS suite of software and tools, including desktop GIS (ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap), ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator
- Programming experience in python, R, SQL, and VB
- Proficiency with Excel
- Familiarity with QGIS, GRASS, MapBox, and other GIS tools a plus
- An interest in forestry, climate change, and equity
- Critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Comfort interacting with clients and partners
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
American Forests staff currently are working remotely for the near future, but our headquarters is downtown Washington, D.C., within walking distance of Metro stations on all lines, multiple bus lines, and Capital Bikeshare. The majority of work is performed in a general office environment, with occasional opportunities to travel.
- Geospatial analysis and mapping (60%)
This role will work independently on high visibility mission-driven projects that deliver climate-smart reforestation to our treasured forests and natural lands and help to bring tree equity to cities across the country. GIS and mapping needs will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Making beautiful maps and visualizations that tell American Forestsí story, including static and dynamic web maps as well as interactive charts, graphs, and infographics.
- Researching, collecting, and managing spatial data on AFís GIS Server on the AWS cloud.
- Conducting spatial data analysis using ArcGIS modelbuilder, python, and R.
- Building simple applications to visualize AF and partner data that provide new insights.
- Technology Infrastructure & Tools (35%)
Augment external technology support, including:
- Identify, review, and implement new tools to support the work of American Forests staff
- Create and maintain training materials and SOPs for AF technology solutions (including databases and websites). Provide trainings to staff to ensure efficient utilization of AF technology.
- Support management of the AWS cloud that houses AFís GIS infrastructure (and more).
- Provide basic website development/design/management for AFís growing number of mission driven websites
- Work with program staff, AFís tech consultant, and others to manage and expand American Forestsí program databases.
- Develop reports on the use and effectiveness of organizational tools
- Provide in-house tech support and troubleshooting as needed for AF staff beyond the 24-hour external help-desk.
- Miscellaneous / Admin (5%)
Budgeting, coding, account creation, and other administrative tasks as assigned.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and appropriate supporting documents to [email protected]
* American Forests is an equal opportunity employer.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse