Organization: RedCastle Resources
Title: Geospatial Analyst
Location: Missoula, MT USA
RedCastle Resources is a small, employee-friendly company that provides geospatial and information technology support to natural resource management agencies throughout the country and around the world. We specialize in the analysis of remote sensing, ecological, and other geospatial data, and training and communicating with natural resource managers and other subject matter experts. The majority of our staff provide support through contracts with the USDA Forest Service, assisting National Forests, Regional and Washington Offices, USFS Research, International Programs, and partnering federal agencies to use advanced geospatial data and technology for improved mapping, inventorying, and monitoring of natural resources.
The Geospatial Analyst will work as part of the USDA Forest Service, Northern Regional Office Geospatial Group and support the updating and maintenance of existing databases and provide innovative approaches to updating current data processing and scripting workflows. In addition to working as part of the Region 1 Geospatial Group the successful candidate will also support the R1 Data Governance and Transportation Staff in evaluating transportation spatial databases for accuracy, completeness and accessibility with priorities to support Forest Plan revision and project planning and inventory. The individual would be responsible for using existing and/or creating and maintaining new scripting tools to assist in remote sensing analysis and database management activities. Knowledge of forest stand level characteristics and model creation from ground sampled and image data is desirable. In regards to the Data Governance and Transportation support, experience and familiarity with existing national tools (e.g., RASTE, Topologies) and evaluating large datasets in general would be ideal.
The following characteristics are desirable:
● Personal and professional interest in natural resources and the application of geospatial technologies to resource management problems,
● Experience with mapping software such as ERDAS, ArcGIS, eCognition, R, and Google Earth Engine;
● Experience or coursework in python, java script, ArcPy or other scripting languages,
● Background in ecology, forestry, or natural resource management area with knowledge of landscape ecology, vegetation, and field data collection methods;
● Excellent communication skills including technical writing and verbal communication.
● Successful candidates should be self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, be able to work independently, be able to collaborate with resource specialists, and be adaptable to changing client priorities.
Education and Experience:
The successful Analyst candidate will have 2 years’ experience in geospatial analysis with good current working knowledge of geospatial/scripting software such as ESRI products (ArcGIS), python, Google Earth Engine, R, and others. The minimum degree requirement is a BA/BS (preferably a MA/MS) in a natural resource or technical area such as forestry, biology, geography/GIS, or ecology, with coursework in geospatial technologies.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position offers a generous benefits package which includes health and dental insurance, company matching 401K and profit sharing, long term disability insurance, and paid vacation and holidays. A moving allowance may be provided. Submit resume and cover letter to email below.
Email: [email protected]
For additional information, please call (801) 322-5100.
RedCastle Resources, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse