Organization: The Trust for Public Land
Title: Director of Business Development and Operations
Join an award winning Research and Innovation team! We are the data backbone of an extraordinary organization that has created more than 5000 places, protected 3 million acres, generated $83 billion for parks and conservation, and help put more than 8 million people within a 10-minute walk of a park. Be part of an ambitious team with limitless potential as we partner internally and externally to uncover insights around our ‘land for people’ mission. Help us enhance the quality and pace of park and trail creation, land protection and public funding for conservation.
We are a team of planners, economists, researchers, data scientists, and geospatial analysts and we are looking for a Director of Business Development and Operations to join our team. We are open to this position being based in any TPL office.
This position is responsible for business development activities, fundraising and operations for the Research and Innovation Function. The position will manage new business, steward existing partners/clients, and train the team in business development best practices that drive revenue generation. The Director will also support internal efforts on fundraising and grant proposals to individuals, institutional donors, and corporations.
The Director will work with existing and potential partners/clients, and coordinate with members of other TPL departments to develop innovative approaches to conservation planning, GIS services, and data analysis. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in business development and in the field of spatial analyses, and a strong understanding of conservation. They must also have a proven ability to cultivate and strengthen relationships internally and externally across a matrix of roles and areas of expertise, can navigate different organizational culture, and can drive change management initiatives by creating alignment among stakeholders and being perceptive to the needs of others.
50% Business Development / Fundraising
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of the capabilities and services of the R&I team specifically and the organization generally and identify partners/clients that have potential needs for our services.
- Ensure ongoing contact with prospective and current partners/clients to increase business growth.
- Work collaboratively with other TPL teams to identify and qualify partners/clients.
- Lead and facilitate R&I involvement in responding to new business opportunities and communicate the partners’/clients’ needs clearly so as to contribute to project plans and external communications.
- Work collaboratively with other TPL teams to identify opportunities that would result in funding for products and services that could be provided by R&I, including expanded federal or state government support for data initiatives, private sector and institutional funder support for spatial or economic analyses.
- Work collaboratively with TPL’s philanthropy and field teams to ensure that R&I expertise is included in grant proposals.
Communicate internally and externally to build awareness about the use cases, impact and outcomes of R&I’s expertise, products, services.
10% Strategic Thought Leadership
- Help craft and implement a multi-year R&I strategic plan, including quantifiable benchmarks, that leverages R&I’s products and services to accelerate TPL’s work regarding our Lands, Trails, Parks, and Green Schoolyards Initiatives.
- Work with R&I Staff and TPL department leaders to develop concepts for cutting-edge projects and initiatives that change the way the park and conservation communities use data and mapping.
- Manage R&I’s overall budget in collaboration with TPL’s finance team
- Coordinate project planning, prioritization, and resource allocation among R&I staff.
- Support the development of scalable, efficient, and effective workflows and communications processes among the team, identifying areas of inconsistency or inefficiency and proposing steps to resolve
- Maintain regular touchpoints and interactions across the R&I team to ensure processes and communication flows operate as intended.
- Develop and track team metrics related to workflow and business development.
20% Team Leadership
- Foster and maintain a culture of accountability and progress, setting a positive example for team members and others to follow.
- Support the development of annual team budgets and clearly defined and measurable goals.
- Foster an environment of collaboration, comradery, innovation, creativity, risk-taking, and achievement. - Celebrate current achievements and set clear expectations for future success.
- Embrace diversity as a strategic advantage.
- Demonstrated experience with data analysis, GIS, geospatial technology or similar disciplines.
- Minimum 8 years related experience, focused primarily on business development and/or fundraising.
- Successful experience working directly with teams on innovative solutions.
- Proven ability to foster successful collaboration across teams and organizations.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a complex, decentralized environment—including work with remote team members and partners.
- Direct experience as a senior manager.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of performance, integrity, organization, and creativity.
- Commitment to and thorough understanding of TPL’s mission.
- Bachelor's degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
On the Research and Innovation team, we all have a role to play. We believe in cultivating a culture of inclusion, curiosity and connectedness. The collective sum of our individual differences, life experiences, self-expression and innovation contributes to our achievements and how we collaborate, share our perspectives, and encourage others to do the same. In turn, our team culture inspires us to speak up and helps us stand out. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each person brings with them, including perspectives informed by culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, religion, education and beliefs. In pursuit of a diverse and inclusive workplace, TPL is an equal opportunity employer that maintains an affirmative action program.
Contact: [email protected]
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse