Organization: Newton County, Georgia
Title: GIS Intern
Location: Covington, GA USA (metro-Atlanta)
Application Deadline: 2021-09-21
Newton County, Georgia (pop. 112,500) is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Intern position to work in its GIS Department. An intern is needed to help support the GIS Department’s professional staff with some of the duties listed below.
An internship with Newton County GIS will serve as an excellent opportunity for a current college/university student to gain valuable, on-the-job experience while assisting with the development and advancement of our GIS program.
The pay rate for this internship is $14/hour and the position is part-time/temporary. The selected applicant may work up to 20 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 30, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
• Researches and verifies addresses needed for a Next-Gen 911 readiness project.
• Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
• Performs edits to various map layers and geodatabases.
• May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
• May assist with updating hydrological datasets and our collaboration with FEMA on its modernization of flood hazard maps.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
• Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, Environmental Science, or a related field. (Candidates who are not enrolled in a degree program may be considered if they can demonstrate GIS proficiency and will be classified as a “GIS Technician”.)
• Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
• Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
• Experience with web and mobile GIS applications, including ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector or Field Maps app, and Trimble GPS.
• Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
A Letter of Interest and Professional Resume listing relevant job experiences and time worked in each position MUST BE RECEIVED for consideration by 5pm on SEPTEMBER 21, 2021. Please submit all required documents to [email protected] and cc [email protected] with the subject line GIS INTERN POSITION. You may also bring in or mail your letter of interest and resume to Human Resources at 1113 Usher Street, Suite 203, Covington, GA 30014. An application does not need to be submitted for this position.
We will contact by phone or email only those applicants whose qualifications meet our minimum requirements and are selected to move forward in the process. We comply with the Drug Free Workplace Guidelines. Newton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse