Organization: Brown University
Title: Adjunct Lecturer - GIS
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Brown Universityís Department of Earth, Environmental, and Planetary Science (DEEPS) and the Institute at Brown for Environment and Society (IBES) are looking for a qualified adjunct leturer to teach one or more Introduction to GIS courses in Spring 2022.
Course Description: GIS analytical concepts, theories, techniques and workflows (such as data structures, data management, coordinate systems, and fundamental spatial analysis techniques) are presented via lectures and / or online content, then put into practice with hands-on laboratory exercises utilizing GIS software. Students in the course, who represent a wide variety of disciplines from across the campus, apply appropriate tools on an original research project in their field of interest to culminate the term.
Duties and Responsibilities:
▪ Coordinate with DEEPS and IBES to plan, organize, and prepare instructional material for the course(s), using ArcGIS software from ESRI, as well as other software applications which support geospatial analysis (for example Excel, Python)
▪ Coordinate with Office of Information Technology in accessing /providing appropriate product licensing to students. Provide instruction according to the class meeting schedule and instructional hours established for the course.
▪ Assist students toward the successful completion of the course through lectures and meetings, research guidance, and timely feedback. Maintain regular office hours.
▪ Masterís in Geographic Information Systems, Certification in Geographic Information Systems, or PhD in a discipline where extensive utilization of and/or teaching Geographic Information Systems has been included. Three or more years of on-the-job experience in the application of Geographic Information System technology as a GIS Analyst, GIS Technician, or GIS Manager will be considered in lieu of a degree or certification.
▪ Demonstrated knowledge of and proficiency with ArcGIS Pro by ESRI.
▪ Ability to communicate complex terminology and procedures to groups of students having large variations in expertise with computers and software.
▪ Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties as needed (posting office hours, syllabi, grades, etc.). lassroom experience teaching at the college or university level.
▪ Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
▪ Demonstrated knowledge of and proficiency with ESRIís ArcGIS Online environment and its integration with ArcGIS Pro, including publishing data, developing interactive web maps, and the utilization of authoritative data from external sources. Familiarity with ArcGIS Online applications such as Field Maps, Survey123, Insights, Storymaps, and other parts of the SAAS suite which can be used to support/enhance student research projects a plus.
▪ Demonstrated knowledge of ESRI licensing procedures in a mixed computing environment (Windows, Mac) a plus
▪ Basic understanding of the python programming language as it pertains to GIS analysis a plus.
Applicants should submit a Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, and Teaching Statement to http://apply.interfolio.com/95093. Please email [email protected]
with questions about the application process.
Review of applications will begin on October 1st, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled with priority given to applications received by October 31, 2021.
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse