Organization: Georgia Southern University
Title: Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Survey-Geomatics
Location: Statesboro, GA
Assistant Professor—Search 67886
Department of Civil Engineering and Construction
Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing
The Department of Civil Engineering and Construction (CEC) in the College of Engineering and Computing invites applications and nominations for the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor in the area of Survey-Geomatics/GIS. The home campus for this position will be the Statesboro campus. Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution’s goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, the CEC department offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Civil Engineering (BSCE), Construction Engineering (BSConE), and Construction (BSCons). The BSCE program is accredited by EAC of ABET and the BSCons program is accredited by ACCE; the new BSConE program is seeking initial EAC of ABET accreditation in 2021 after producing its first graduates. The department also offers a Master of Science in Civil Engineering. Delivery of the curriculum for each program emphasizes hands-on and experiential learning where students develop practical skills valued by employers. State-of-the art equipment/instruments and advanced software are employed in both classroom and laboratory/field settings to prepare students to be productive technical professionals when they graduate.
Position Description. The CEC department at Georgia Southern University seeks candidates for a tenure-track faculty position in Surveying-Geomatics/GIS at the rank of Assistant Professor. While candidates with research interests from all areas of Civil Engineering will be considered, priority will be given to the those with a demonstrated track record of success in Surveying and related fields.
Reporting to the department chair, the tenure-track Assistant Professor will engage in undergraduate and graduate teaching, research responsibilities, and service as needed in the CEC department. The successful candidate will: 1) develop and teach undergraduate and graduate courses; 2) engage in academic mentoring for graduate and undergraduate students; 3) establish and sustain an externally funded research program complementing current research efforts of the CEC department; 4) generate a scholarly publication record; (5) assist in program assessment and execution of the department’s continuous improvement plan; and (6) participate in technical committees and professional activities and organizations.. Candidates should communicate well, collaborate effectively, and contribute to the mission of the department. The position is a 10-month, tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned bachelor and Ph.D. degrees in Civil Engineering by July 1, 2022
• Effective communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development
• Demonstrated commitment to advancing a strong and growing research and scholarship agenda and the production of research/creative activities as appropriate to the discipline
• Previous teaching experience at a higher education institution
• Instructional expertise that complements existing faculty in the department
• Research agenda that complements existing research efforts in the department and college
• A record of publication in leading technical journals
• Ability to collaborate in multi-disciplinary research
• A professional engineering and/or professional land surveying license, or the ability to become licensed in one or both of these areas
• Professional experience (e.g., academic, postdoctoral, industry) in a related field
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins December 1, 2021 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2022. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; a brief teaching statement including teaching philosophy, a list of courses the candidate is qualified to teach and develop, and any evidence of teaching effectiveness; a brief research statement including an outline of research goals and plans; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Junan Shen, Search Chair, Search #67886
Department of Civil Engineering and Construction
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: [email protected]
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cec.georgiasouthern.edu. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse