Organization: Colorado State University
Title: GIS Analyst - Edwards AFB, Lancaster/Palmdale, CA
Location: Lancaster/Palmdale, CA
GIS Analyst - Edwards AFB, Lancaster/Palmdale, CA
Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Proposed Annual Salary Range
$60,000 - $65,000
Colorado State University (CSU) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSU’s Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas: https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ & https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
A Geographic Information System (GIS) Analyst (Research Associate II Special) position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML). The duty location is Edwards Air Force Base and the position also serves Los Angeles Air Force Base. This position will require occasional travel, up to a week in duration, to supported Air Force Bases. The GIS Analyst will be responsible for data development, standardization, and maintenance for all environmental GIS data within the area of responsibility. The individual will also be responsible for providing GIS support to the Air Force environmental programs at those locations. This includes but is not limited to cartographic support, data requests, and data analysis. This position will engage with Air Force environmental Program Managers and staff at all supported bases on a routine basis. This includes but is not limited to collaborating on projects, providing status updates, and presenting to small groups.
The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date.
This position cannot support telecommuting.
Required Job Qualifications
• Minimum of a BS or BA degree(s) in computer science, information technology, geographic information systems, geography, environmental science, or related fields.
• Three years of demonstrated GIS work experience is required, coursework will not be included.
• The successful applicant shall demonstrate experience in all of the following: environmental-related GIS, Esri’s ArcGIS software, and cartography.
• Must have demonstrated work experience applying spatial data standards, data development, and data maintenance.
• Must have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, as well as take initiative to resolve issues.
• Must demonstrate superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be able to pass the DoD background check for a Common Access Card (CAC).
• The applicant must be able to work full-time on-site.
• The applicant must be able to travel (up to 1 week in duration) at least 2 times per year to each remotely located Air Force Base within the area of responsibility.
• This position may require fieldwork to obtain environmental data, which includes possibly walking long distances in adverse terrain and weather conditions, carrying all necessary supplies and equipment (max 45lbs.).
• The applicant must have or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license by the employment start date.
• The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States by the proposed start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Desired qualifications include experience working in a highly structured organization, demonstrated knowledge of military instructions, directives, guidance, and environmental regulations and processes.
• Demonstrated work experience with the following:
• U.S. Air Force GeoBase program,
• Geospatial documentation and metadata,
• Geospatial Standards including: Spatial Data Standards for Facility, Infrastructure, and Environment (SDSFIE), and International Organization Standardization (ISO) or Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) standards,
• Disseminating information to stakeholders and public or private entities.
• Field data collection methods including using GPS equipment and post-processing of data.
• Existing National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) is highly desired.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Database Management: The GIS Analyst will be responsible for data development and data maintenance for all environmental GIS data for two U.S. Air Force Bases. The successful candidate will ensure all data are maintained to the SDSFIE standards, metadata meets project requirements, and passes Quality Control checks.
GIS Support and Data Analysis: The GIS Analyst will be responsible for providing GIS support including but not limited to cartographic support, data requests, and data analysis.
Data Collection: The GIS Analyst will be responsible for collection and evaluation of existing spatial and aspatial data from disparate sources. The successful candidate will perform field data collection using GPS, rectify aerial photography, and digitize features from imagery.
Consultation: The GIS Analyst will engage with Air Force environmental Program Managers and staff at all supported bases on a routine basis, including but not limited to reviewing data and providing status updates.
Travel: The GIS Analyst will be responsible for periodic travel (2x per year per remotely located base), up to 1 week in duration per trip, to provide project updates, conduct GIS data review, and offer GIS support services.
Reporting: The GIS Analyst will be responsible for monthly reporting requirements.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than 5/9/2022 for full consideration at jobs.colostate.edu. Mailed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birth dates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1. Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the ‘Cover Letter’ slot.
3. Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the ‘Official Transcripts’ or ‘Unofficial Transcripts’ slot.
4. Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the ‘Other’ slot.
5. References – please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Special Requirements/Other - Relocation expenses are NOT available for this position.
Valerie Milmore, [email protected]
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Title IX Programs and Gender Equity, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, [email protected]
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, [email protected]
The Coordinator for any other forms of misconduct prohibited by the University’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, Co. 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, [email protected]
Any person may report sex discrimination under Title IX to the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/3010829
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse