Organization: Gallatin County
Title: GIS Technician
Location: Bozeman, MT
The GIS Technician provides GIS and addressing assistance to members of the public, County staff, and others, and administrative/program support for the GIS Office. The GIS Technician is also responsible for various fundamental functions related to addressing and 911 support, including maintaining, updating, and uploading GIS data crucial to 911 operations. Supervision of this position is provided by the GIS Supervisor under the direction of the Planning Director. This position does not supervise other County personnel.
All duties below are essential functions unless otherwise indicated.
ADDRESSING AND 911 SUPPORT – 75%
• Serves as primary point of contact to issue new addresses, answer addressing questions, rename or renumber roads and addresses, and troubleshoot addressing. Elevates more complex situations to colleagues. Performs addressing in-person via: front counter; telephone; email; or mail. Participates in public hearings regarding addressing and/or GIS topics.
• Maintains and updates addresses in enterprise GIS systems, including tabular or spatial data.
• Maintains and updates 911 systems (MSAG and CAD) with addresses, centerlines, dispatch boundaries, and other GIS data from internal and external data sources. Works with 911 personnel, 911 contractors, municipal GIS/addressing authorities, and GIS colleagues to coordinate data maintenance, delivery, and enhancements.
• Maintains process documentation for issuing, maintaining, or otherwise changing addresses and 911-related data. Produces and organizes digital and paper documentation and communications relating to new or updated addresses; road-renaming projects; public hearing notices; various public mailings; and any other communications.
• Independently or collaboratively conducts field work via GPS/GNSS to support addressing and 911 functions.
• Works with the Gallatin County Clerk & Recorder, Gallatin County Planning Department, 911 organizations, fire and police departments, municipal agencies, neighboring counties, and other government entities to coordinate addressing and 911 issues.
• Works with GIS colleagues to improve standards and practices pertaining to addressing and 911 support. Identifies opportunities to make addressing and/or 911-related processes more efficient. Helps recommend, test, and implement solutions.
• Reports ongoing addressing activity to County Commissioners, the USPS, the Census Bureau, and other interested parties.
OTHER GIS WORK – 15%
• Creates and maintains maps and GIS data for other functions, requests, and projects. These may include, but are not limited to, general map and data requests from first-responders, federal agencies, County Commissioners, and the public; standard large-format paper maps for sale by the GIS Office; datasets for use by State of Montana agencies; and other similar requests.
• Maintains basic understanding of how work processes in County departments (such as permitting or platting) have tie-ins to GIS datasets such as zoning, floodplains, parcels, cadastral, irrigation, etc. May participate in the upkeep or dissemination of these data sets and related map products.
• Participates in general GIS outreach and coordination with Gallatin County agencies, municipal governments, neighboring county governments, state agencies, and/or federal agencies.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATION – 10%
• Provides primary administrative support for the GIS Office, including but not limited to: general customer support; receiving and tracking documents; maintaining office supplies; or managing mass-mailings.
• Performs bookkeeping functions, including collecting, tracking, and depositing fees; and preparing and submitting invoices.
• Assists with budget tracking.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
Performs a variety of other duties as assigned by supervisor. This includes, but is not limited to, participating in special projects, occasionally filling in for other employees, performing training, or other similar tasks. If the County Commission proclaims an emergency, County employees may be required to provide services during the emergency and for a subsequent period of assessment and recovery.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires knowledge of geography, cartography, and contemporary GIS practices; common addressing schemes and paradigms; GIS data management; desktop GIS software; and GIS/GPS operations. Knowledge of MS Office products and other general office tools is essential. Knowledge of relational databases (Access, SQL Server) is highly beneficial but not required. This role requires basic administrative and clerical skills and experience with, or the capacity to learn, general bookkeeping.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: The required knowledge, skills and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in geography, cartography, computer science, or a related field plus two (2) years of experience in GIS operations, including ArcGIS applications. Knowledge and experience with local government land records is preferred. This position must maintain a valid Montana driver’s license.
As a condition of hire, the final candidate will be required to successfully pass a criminal history check and background investigation.
For application consideration, be prepared to attach the following documents:
• Cover Letter
• (3) work references
Gallatin County is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Gallatin County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or marital status.
CLOSING DATE: PUF
CONTACT: Warren Roe, (406) 582-3067
LOCATION: Gallatin County Courthouse, GIS Office, Bozeman MT
SALARY: $20.63-22.78 per hour, DOE + Excellent Benefits
WORK HOURS: Full-time, Monday- Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
TO APPLY: Go to the “Careers” tab on our Gallatin County Website (https://gallatincomt.virtualtownhall.net/), locate this job and click APPLY. OR copy and paste this link: “https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/gallatinmt/”
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse