Organization: Texas A&M AgriLife Extension - Texas Community Watershed Partners
Title: Geospatial Analyst II / Urban Planner
Location: Houston (Clear Lake), TX USA
Posted May 2022. Position will be open until filled. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Position Profile & Responsibilities:
As a Geospatial Analyst II, you’ll join our planning program, working as part of a team to build open-source GIS resources that support highly localized, participatory mapping projects and visualizations for communities across Texas and beyond. You’ll work as a team member to develop and maintain CHARM’s GIS data resources, support the development of new products, and work with end-users and stakeholders to ground our priorities.
Our program is seeking a highly organized, detail-oriented GIS professional, preferably with a background in urban planning. We are looking for a tenacious problem solver who will keep tasks on track and moving in the right direction. Your empathy for the needs of our communities and end-users will keep you and others focused on developing practical, meaningful solutions. Like all team members, the hire will collaborate across the program to bring these projects to life.
Your contributions will be felt directly by communities as they plan for sustainable futures and reduce risks from floods and other disasters. Through ongoing community engagement, we bring forth new ideas for how collaborative interactions with maps and visualizations support meaningful plan making. On the backend we are constantly enhancing our resources, testing new GIS exercises, and developing solutions to streamline our work and improve our products. Our teams coordinate tightly to make it all happen. This is an ideal position for an early career analyst and participatory specialist to grow into project leadership and help communities build safer futures.
Duties & General Qualifications:
- 5 or more years of GIS experience is preferred; a minimum of 3 years’ GIS experience is required to be considered;
- Knowledge of and experience with participatory GIS methods and applications is strongly preferred;
- Coordinate with project leaders and program director on project work plans;
- Manage data libraries, relational databases, metadata, and data ontologies;
- Interpret data formats, attributes, and properties to support the development of new GIS data resources, technical solutions, and tools for decision-support and planning;
- Research and develop advanced geospatial analyses for use in applications;
- Develop scripts and implement systems to streamline GIS workflows;
- Provide technical and product support to end-users;
- Develop and deliver GIS trainings;
- The preferred candidate will have a master’s degree in geography, planning, engineering, environmental science, information systems or allied disciplines;
- Experience in urban planning or land use planning fields is preferred; Experience in natural hazards, hydrology, or natural resource management is highly beneficial to our projects;
- Experience with ESRI products such as ArcMap, Pro, Enterprise, AGOL, ArcSDE, or ArcGIS API;
- Experience with Access, MS SQL, and Microsoft Office;
- Experience with open source projects, AWS, Azure, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, Leaflet or Mapbox GL will be beneficial;
- You’ll be working with GIS data sets of all types, at all scales; Knowledge of data source methods, projections, and domains is required; Knowledge of GIS principles, theories, practices, and technology trends is required;
- Enjoys being a team player and working collaboratively towards the success of our projects;
- Is a tenacious problem solver, methodical, highly organized and attentive to details;
- Is able to make independent, professional decisions within project guidelines and to work simultaneously on multiple projects;
- Has strong communication and writing skills, and is able to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical users;
- GISP credentials are valued, but not required;
- Hire must be able to occasionally travel overnight for project work, meetings, and in support of post-disaster response.
Salary is commensurate with experience, education, skills, and responsibilities.
To apply, please visit https://www.communitycharm.org/join-our-team
Texas A&M AgriLife is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse