Organization: Coeur d'alene Tribe
Title: Sr GIS Analyst / GIS System Administrator
Location: Plummer, ID
Position Title: Senior GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Analyst/GIS System Manager (GIS Analyst, GIS Systems Manager)
Type: Permanent Full-time
Under the general direction of the Coeur d’Alene Tribe’s GIS Manager, performs professional technical work in the acquisition and maintenance of digital data of high complexity. Work requires independent judgment in managing multiple priorities and in coordinating work activities to meet established schedules and goals. Duties include specific tasks within seven areas of responsibility:
(1) GIS system and database design/creation and maintenance
(2) Project coordination
(3) Application development
(4) Client services
(5) Geo-spatial product production
(6) GPS technology usage
(7) Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) operations
Work load ranges from moderate to heavy. Scope of the work is Tribal-wide, although it may include work for other tribal governments, state and federal agencies, and the public. The organizational environment is hierarchical similar to organizations such as tribal, federal or state agencies, or the military. This position reports directly to the Tribe's IT/GIS Manager. Work is conducted both in a normal office setting, in the out-of-doors under a variety of weather conditions and in a vehicle on a range of road surfaces including four-wheel-drive conditions. Noise level is moderate to loud, depending upon the employee’s location. At times, duties may require field work using GPS and UAS equipment in and near roadways and in remote roadless areas. There is occasional lifting of computers and UAS’s and their components weighing up to 70 lbs.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinates technical GIS projects to achieve desired goals with available resources, plans and organizes individual work, reports on progress, makes recommendations and implements changes as needed
• Responsible for the design, creation and maintenance of the Tribe’s Enterprise GIS System, its data, and software
• Assists the IT Network Manager in making sure all GIS data and applications are properly backed up and that those backups are usable and safe from ransomware and other malware
• Database Administrator responsible for all enterprise GIS databases based on a centralize database management system such as Microsofts SQL Server, and GIS-specific file-based databases residing on computer file systems (Esri file geodatabases and shapefiles) and Access databases
• Assists in the definition, needs assessment and procurement of new data
• Performs sophisticated raster and vector-based GIS analysis and classification as needed
• Produces sophisticated, cartographic quality maps, reports, imagery and related GIS products and services as needed
• Designs and develops project specific GIS applications or processes requiring programming and or customization of GIS applications
• Designs, implements, and documents quality control measures for special projects, products, and services
• Provides technical assistance to GIS Analysts and Technicians and to other departments’ GIS users, departmental managers and administrators related to their projects
• Develops, conducts and coordinates specialized GIS training sessions for GIS staff and other Tribal GIS users, and presents at GIS workshops and conferences
• Evaluates new GIS technologies products and services
• Manages the Tribe’s UAS Program
o Manages the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s, aka “drones”) and ancillary hardware, and software used in flight programming and data collection
o Plans aerial imagery acquisition schedule for Tribal lands to be monitored by the UAV’s
o Using the appropriate software, creates flight missions for both the fix-wing and rotary based autopilots
o Safely conducts UAV flights in the field on Tribal lands within the Coeur d’Alene Reservation in compliance with Tribal rules and the FAA regulations
o Downloads collected imagery from the UAV cameras, geotag and process into usable raster layers
o Manages the UAS imagery library
• Assists the IT/GIS Manager with recommendations for GIS products and services and preparation of GIS budget
• Assists the IT/GIS Manager with acquisition, interviews, and evaluation of new GIS staff
• Attends project demonstrations, seminars, workshops and other professional opportunities to maintain the necessary level of GIS expertise
• Grant acquisition and management
• Reports directly to the Tribe’s IT/GIS Manager
• Performs supervision of GIS group staff, including GIS Analysts, GIS Technicians and GIS Interns when the Tribe’s GIS Manager is away from the office
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in GIS or a related field from an accredited college or university, plus at least four years’ experience in GIS and enterprise database management, preferably in a governmental setting. Combined educational and professional background should involve at least six years of increasingly applicable experience in GIS and enterprise database management, or any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge
• Strong skills using Microsoft Windows based operating systems such as Server 2012 R2—2019 and/or Windows 7 and 10
• Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2008-2019 Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) as it applies to Enterprise GIS implementations
• Knowledge of the Esri Geodatabase data format
• Knowledge of ArcGIS data models
• Knowledge of Esri’s software programming languages, including Microsoft .NET, SQL, Python, HTML and Java Script
• Extensive knowledge of peripheral devices such as large format plotters used in GIS applications
• Extensive knowledge of Esri’s GIS desktop software products including ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Pro) and ArcGIS Extensions
• Extensive knowledge of Esri’s ArcGIS Enterprise server-based software: Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Image Server, ArcGIS Raster Analysis Server and ArcGIS Datastore. Knowledge of its structure, management and upgrade procedures
• Extensive knowledge of Esri mobile applications: Collector, Survey 123, QuickCapture Insights, Workforce, Dashboard, Explorer, ArcGIS Companion, ArcGIS Earth and AppStudio
• Knowledge of raster compression and data storage software and methods
• Skilled in the use of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)
• Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of GIS, spatial analysis, remote sensing and cartography
• Knowledge of GPS data collection and associated principles and practices
• Knowledge of the principles and common standards for geospatial metadata
• Knowledge of CAD software and file structures, as they relate to GIS applications
• Knowledge of graphic editing software including Adobe Photoshop as they relate to desktop publishing and GIS applications
• Experience with an Unmanned Aerial System (UAS)
o Experience with both fixed-wing (PixHawk autopilot based) and rotary style (DJI) UAV’s and the mission planning software needed to conduct autonomous flights
o Knowledge of digital photographic systems used in the collection of aerial imagery from UAV’s
o Knowledge of Esri Drone2Map or other related post processing software
o Must demonstrate a basic understanding of UAS and FAA principles, theories and concepts
o The ability to work both independently and in a team environment in the field is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required for the field work
o The ability to qualify and obtain an FAA Part 107 license for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems, Remote Pilot qualified
o Remotely pilot’s UAV’s to determine compliance with specification and operational suitability during engineering tests and flight test/demonstration support through specifically prescribed tests and maneuvers
• Knowledge of habitat conservation, natural resources, land management and municipal applications for GIS
• Ability to effective research published journals, trade magazines, texts, web pages and other sources to keep current with developments in the field of GIS
• Ability to conduct effective oral and written presentations before Tribal Council, the public and other GIS professionals
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Comfort working on multiple projects simultaneously
Applicants may be asked to participate in an interview/hands-on testing to establish whether he/she meets minimum qualifications. Interviews do not create a right to employment and provide no promise or other guarantee of any employment position with the Tribe.
The Coeur d’Alene Tribe reserves the right to hire according to its Indian Preference Policy.
Applicants are subject to a pre-employment drug test and at-random testing following employment.
Positions with the Coeur d’Alene Tribe are subject to a 6-month orientation period.
To apply, submit application, resume, and answers to the KSA questions (see next page) to: Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 408, Plummer, Idaho 83851 or fax to 208-686-6216. For more information, visit our website at https://www.cdatribe-nsn.gov/employment-opportunities/ or call 208-686-4068.
Senior GIS Analyst knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA) Questions
1. List your formal training and work experience in GIS and SQL database management.
2. Describe your most complex GIS analysis project.
3. Describe any GIS programming (interface, modeling, data management, etc.) you have done.
4. Describe the most complex GIS data system you have designed and managed.
5. Tell us about the most complex GIS analysis project you have managed.
6. What other GIS and database systems have you had experience with besides Esri and Microsoft?
7. Describe your experience with Esri’s ArcGIS Enterprise Web GIS system and/or ArcGIS Online (AGOL).
8. Describe your experience with Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS).
Please be as specific and detailed as possible with your answers.
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse