Organization: City of Dickinson
Title: GIS Technician (Entry Level) **Relocation is required if not in Dickinson, ND**
Location: Dickinson, ND
Application Deadline: 2022-08-16
Responsible for gathering, producing, maintaining, analyzing, and reporting of Geographic Information System (GIS) data; preparing and updating maps and exhibits with GIS data sets; and using GIS data, applications, and tools to identify and solve problems for the engineering and operations staff. Utilize GPS to locate and field verify assets. This position supports the GIS Specialist in creating maps, updating and maintaining spatial databases. This position exercises proactive judgement in assisting the GIS Specialist maintain and improve mapping processes and standards.
• Create and maintain geospatial data in relational databases including MS SQL enterprise and other ESRI formats;
• Use various software applications such as ArcGIS desktop, Enterprise, and ArcGIS Pro to edit and compile data to create maps and distribute to ArcGIS portal and other third party web applications;
• Utilize GPS with real time correction or post processing to collect data within horizontal and vertical tolerance limits and incorporate into the enterprise GIS data structure;
• Edit and update GIS attribute tables using a variety of information and sources to maintain the highest level of accuracy;
• Ability to read and interpret legal descriptions from various sources including deeds, plats, maps, and other land survey instruments or documents;
• Assure data consistency with company-wide standards and practices for data conversion and data maintenance in order to provide asset related metrics to decision makers;
• Perform routine data validation and QA/QC checks to ensure GIS data integrity;
• Continue to develop expertise in GIS, participating in workshops, training, or vendor presentations introducing evolving GIS technology, new products and upgrades;
• Perform other related functions to support the GIS program and other duties as needed;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience using ESRI or other GIS software to edit, convert, and distribute GIS data and maps;
• Working knowledge of GIS related software, including desktop and web applications;
• Confident in your ability to use or learn basic scripting in Python, Arcade, and SQL queries;
• Familiarity with a SQL enterprise database environment and relational databases generally;
• Detail oriented to conduct thorough analyses and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations;
• Ability to work independently and manage time across multiple projects and deadlines;
• Ability to seek input/feedback and coordinate with other team members;
• Ability to problem solve and analyze data to identify problems and develop effective solutions and/or input;
• Knowledge of GIS/CADD interoperability and GPS related applications;
• Good communications skills;
• Proficient in use of tablet and handheld electronic devices;
• Ability to use a variety of office equipment and related computer operations and software applications;
• Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, maps, diagrams;
• Knowledge of City geography and street locations;
• Able to communicate orally and in writing;
• Knowledge of and ability to follow current safety practices;
• This position may provide work leadership, direction and assist with training of others in this same position or seasonal staff.
Education and Experience:
• Associate degree in GIS, Geography, Information Technology, or other closely related field.
• One to three years of experience using GIS in local government is preferred.
• Bachelor of Science in GIS, Geography, Information Technology, or a closely related field preferred.
• Or the equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the duties of this position.
• Valid Drivers License
Positions in this class typically require: sitting, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently. Sedentary work involves sitting and working at a computer most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met. Work related travel is minimal.
For further question contact Layne at 701.456.7033
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse