Organization: Murray City Corporation
Title: Sr. GIS Analyst
Location: Murray, UT USA
Application Deadline: 2022-08-12
Under the general supervision of the GIS Supervisor, provides advanced technical and industry expertise to support the various geospatial needs of city departments. Assists in maintaining Murray City’s enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) and utilizes professional GIS experience, complex problem-solving skills, and interdepartmental coordination to advance the goals, vision, and mission of Murray City and the IT department.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop and maintain GIS databases and datasets to support department projects throughout Murray City. Responsible for identifying patterns, trends, and sequences in the data that can inform decision making and effective project management through geospatial analysis.
• Perform data collection, conversion, and transformation to deliver web maps and applications using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Portal, Survey123, other Esri applications, and additional software as needed.
• Coordinate directly with and process requests from all city departments to develop and maintain effective GIS datasets.
• Produce maps, figures, tables, and a variety of deliverables containing both spatial and aspatial data for all departments in Murray City, including but not limited to Public Works, Power, Community & Economic Development, and Public Safety.
• Edit, maintain, analyze, and perform quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) on GIS datasets used for critical functions throughout the city.
• Support, administer, and develop Cityworks asset management system (AMS) for all city departments. Work closely with staff to identify various needs and develop service requests, work orders, inspections, and other tools to accommodate each department’s workflows.
• Create meaningful tools, figures, interactive dashboards, and other reports to aid in analysis, planning, and high-level decision making.
• Integrate multifaceted operations like dispatch, inventories, transportation modeling, pavement management, storm water modeling, GASB 34 assessment, sidewalk safety/ADA data assessment and impervious area assessment.
• Conduct GIS data capture using GPS/GNSS equipment as well as other methods such as heads-up digitizing.
• Interact with Tyler-Munis enterprise resource planning (ERP) software and associated database tables to perform a variety of data entry, quality control, and synchronization procedures to optimize effectiveness of citywide databases.
• Perform a variety of video, image, and other related media capture and editing assignments.
• Comprehensively document GIS workflows to aid cross-training of other personnel and establish consistency in the division’s methodologies.
• Provide training and technical support to city staff for GIS applications, GPS data collection, Cityworks functionality, and other related software as needed.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Geography, Urban Planning, Computer Science, or a closely related field AND four (4) years of full-time working experience performing advanced GIS tasks and analysis.
• OR an equivalent combination of education and experience including but not limited to a GIS certificate from an accredited institution of higher learning or a dedicated GIS internship.
Skills & Abilities:
• Proficient in the Esri suite of software and SaaS.
• Excellent knowledge of Windows OS and networking components, and a conceptual knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server database management and relational databases.
• Fundamental understanding of cartographic principles and best practices.
• Ability to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot large format plotters, including trimming and mounting of maps on a variety of media.
• Ability to incorporate interoperability between different data systems and software such as the Esri suite, AutoCAD, MS Office, etc.
• Ability to operate high accuracy GPS/GNSS equipment.
• Ability to maintain positive, productive working relationships with supervisor, coworkers, and other city staff.
• Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP)
• Python programming experience
• Previous experience with Cityworks AMS, Tyler-Munis ERP, and SAP Crystal Reports
• Must possess a valid Utah driver’s license or be eligible to transfer licensure from another state or country within 6 months of hire.
• Pension through Utah Retirement System
• Medical, dental, vision, life insurance
• Vacation – 12 day/yr; Sick Leave – 12 days/yr; Paid Holidays – 14 days/yr
• Tuition reimbursement
• The work environment consists of a typical office setting and occasional outdoor field work; most of the job duties are completed while sitting or standing at a desk, wherein the noise level is mild to moderate; however, field work may include increased noise levels characteristic of the corresponding environment (i.e. construction sites, high-traffic roadways, etc.). Appropriate safety gear and personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided to employees while working in these conditions.
• In either setting, the employee will occasionally be required to climb, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs. in order to perform his/her job duties. The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job, and reasonable accommodations are made for individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Qualified applicants must complete a Murray City employment application online at https://selfservice.murraycity.org/ess/employmentopportunities/default.aspx. If you do not have access to a computer, you may come to the Murray City Human Resources Office located at 5025 South State Street, Murray, UT 84107, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Note: In the interest of workplace and public safety, all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a chemical screen for the purpose of detecting the presence of alcohol and/or controlled substances in the body. A background check is conducted if the candidate is over 18 years of age.
Murray City is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse