Organization: U.S. Forest Service & Mt. Adams Institute
Title: GIS Technician - U.S. Military Veterans Only
Location: Anchorage, AK USA
Position Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Technician
Partner Organization: Chugach National Forest
Project Location: Supervisor’s Office, 161 East 1st Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501
Service Dates: February 6, 2023 to December 15, 2023 (1700-hour position)
Visit: mtadamsinstitute.org/vetswork-environment-internships/ for a complete position description, Program Overview, video, Frequently Asked Questions and application instructions.
Contact: Katie Schmidt, Recruitment Coordinator, at [email protected] or 503 504 5994 (9a-4p pacific) for more information.
In partnership with the Mt. Adams Institute (MAI), Chugach National Forest will sponsor a VetsWork AmeriCorps Intern to serve as a GIS Technician. This position will provide timely GIS support to a wide range of project areas across the Chugach National Forest. The Intern is responsible for using current, cutting-edge geospatial technologies to support the Forest Service’s purpose of caring for the land and serving people. The Intern will be responsible for mapping and performing geospatial analysis for projects affecting the forest both its ecosystems and human uses. The Intern will also develop and maintain applications using mobile GIS technology to support field crews in gathering and storing newly collected data.
• Provide GIS and mapping support to a variety of programs and topic areas.
• Manipulate and analyze geospatial data to support management decisions, planning and monitoring activities, and other projects.
• Create and maintain ArcGIS Online feature layers, web maps, web apps, and mobile apps.
• Collaborate and communicate effectively with a wide range of resource specialists, district staff members, various teams, and leadership.
• Provide on-site support for field crews in implementation of mobile GIS data collection applications and techniques.
• Must have a valid driver's license, clean driving record and ability to provide documentation.
• Participate in weekly GIS team meetings, monthly Alaska Region Information Management meetings, as well as unit-level all-employee meetings and trainings.
• Familiarity with basic geostatistical and geoprocessing operations.
• Familiarity with basic geographic concepts such as map projections and scales, vector vs. raster data, geodatabases, and versioning.
• Must have served in the Uniformed Services of the United States, including Guard and Reserves and have a DD214 with an honorable or general under honorable (on case by case basis).
• At least 21 years of age at beginning of service term.
• Ability to commit to the full 45-week term of service.
• Attend MAI Orientation (February 6-10) and Intern trainings.
• VetsWork is an apprenticeship program approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Department of Labor. Members with G.I. Bill benefits may be able to dual enroll as an apprentice and access their Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) of up to approximately $2,400 per month. Actual benefits vary by individuals’ qualified benefits.
• $22,500 living allowance – paid monthly over the 10 ½ -month term of service ($500 weekly, before taxes).
• $6,495 education award (qualified student loans and/or education expenses)
• Loan Forbearance
• Health Care Insurance
• Child Care Reimbursement
• Professional development, trainings and networking opportunities.
• A $1000/month housing stipend provided by service site.
• Airfare is provided at the start of our program; from Intern’s location to the Service Site (up to $700)
• Upon successfully completing the program, airfare is provided from Service Site to Intern’s home (up to $700).
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse