Organization: UniSource Energy Services
Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Position Title: GIS Analyst I-III
Business Reporting Unit: UNSG GIS Flagstaff or other service territory
FLSA Status: Non Exempt (I) Exempt (II and III)
EEOC Category: Technicians
EEOC Job Group IT Technicians - Unclassified
Does this position involve transmission and/or marketing functions? - TRM, MKT, or N/A N/A
CIP status - Cyber, Physical, Both or Neither (Select one) Neither
Job Code AG010 (I), AG011 (II), AG012 (III)
Safety Sensitive: Yes
Last Business Unit Review 1/2020
Divides time between GIS data creation, data maintenance and GIS applications support.
GIS Data Creation and Maintenance
Ensures UniSource GIS data is accurately updated to capture new construction or changes to existing assets. Responsible for communicating GIS data updates and changes to multiple internal departments and external agencies. Assists is monitoring GIS data quality. GIS data duties are performed in both a desktop and mobile environment.
GIS Application Support
Provide technical support, software design, and process analysis for UniSource GIS software solutions. Identifies business requirements, designs functional solutions, performs process improvement activities, and prepares and maintains supporting GIS documentation for multiple departments. Maintain a broad understanding of clients’ business processes and practices. Functions as an initial point of contact for application support and executes initial diagnosis of issues. Monitors the applications, data, and process errors, and takes appropriate corrective action. Ensures applications controls are in compliance with regulatory requirements.
Position-Related Responsibilities specific to levels I-III:
• Updates UniSource designed assets with as-built information.
• Translates construction drawings, as-built drawings and sketches accurately into the GIS and associated work systems.
• Ensures required attributes are correctly updated in the database.
• Completes quality assurance/quality control tests to maintain a high level of data integrity.
• Provides support to all phases of design within the GIS.
• Communicates GIS asset updates to internal departments as well as external entities.
• Updates UniSource land base on an as needed or scheduled basis.
• Assists with field data collection using mobile GIS and GPS equipment.
• Prepares, produces, and updates a variety of maps in support of existing business processes, regulatory requirements, and emergency situations.
• Gathers requirements from clients for reports and enhancements, and translates those requirements into functional designs used by technical resources to develop solutions.
• Works with clients to develop and maintain current business process maps and documentation.
• Recommends improvement of existing or proposed systems to enhance the functionality or effectiveness of solutions delivered.
• Facilitates the interaction between clients and technology providers to implement and maintain reliable solutions.
• Tests application patches and changes to configuration tables, programs, and processes.
• Assists with testing and verification for product upgrades.
• Coordinates client’s testing and acceptance of application changes.
• Develops and/or assists in developing business process aligned application training material. Delivers training to clients one-on-one or in a classroom environment as required.
• Performs initial troubleshooting and problem resolution.
• Works with business areas and technical support staff to troubleshoot problems related to data errors, application defects and client training.
• Ability to work with all levels of management and workforce.
Additional Position-Related Responsibilities for Level II & III:
• Gathers requirements from business area for moderate to complex enhancements, and translates those requirements into functional designs used by technical resources to develop solutions.
• Facilitates and supports continuous process improvement proactively with clients, considering leveraging existing systems’ functionality and capabilities, industry best practices, and other opportunities for improvement.
• Proactively evaluates application functions and features against business processes, to support current and evolving business practices.
• Develops and runs ad hoc query reports as needed to troubleshoot problems, fulfill audit requests, and support other client requests.
• Leads small projects, preparing all required documentation for delivery of project objectives, as assigned.
Additional Position-Related Responsibilities for Level III:
• Leads requirements gathering efforts for package evaluation and complex development projects.
• Leads “As-Is” and “To-Be” business process requirements / optimization sessions with client organizations. Provides analysis to client leadership for review, approval and prioritization.
• Plans multiple project assignments and coordinates priorities with team leads and clients. Leads projects with moderate complexity or sensitive issues, preparing all required documentation for delivery of project objectives, as assigned.
• Coaches and mentors less experienced team members.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for Levels I-III:
• Bachelor’s or higher level degree in Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, Planning or related discipline and at least one year of professional GIS experience preferred. An equivalent combination of relevant education and professional GIS experience will also be considered.
• One year of demonstrated expertise with Esri’s ArcGIS product suite. Experience with the ArcFM product suite highly desirable.
• Thorough knowledge of enterprise GIS architecture and supporting database structures.
• Working knowledge of Python and Esri ArcGIS scripting environment.
• Effective communication skills, both verbal and written and proficiency in conducting productive meetings.
• Ability to articulate thoughts and ideas to others, including facilitating communication between business and technical personnel.
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
• Demonstrated experience with application testing.
• Demonstrated effectiveness within an application support role combined with the ability to define business solutions using the appropriate technology and/or process solution.
• Strong knowledge of applicable PC programs and MS-Office tools (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and to effectively participate in a team project to achieve required functionality within budget and timeframe.
• Effective critical listening, analysis and problem solving skills.
• Effective time management with demonstrated ability to multi-task priorities and deliver assignments on schedule.
• Ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence.
• Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and business.
• Valid AZ drivers license and will submit to Company pre-employment and DOT/PHMSA random drug testing as required.
Additional Knowledge, Skills & Abilities for Level II & III:
• Typically requires 3 or more years experience as a GIS Analyst I.
• Documented expertise with Esri’s ArcGIS product suite. Working knowledge of the ArcFM product suite.
• Documented ability to competently fulfill all the requirements and expectations of a GIS Analyst I.
Additional Knowledge, skills and abilities for Level III:
• Typically requires 3 or more years experience as a GIS Analyst II.
• Documented expertise with Esri’s ArcGIS and ArcFM product suites.
• Documented ability to expertly fulfill all the requirements and expectations of a GIS Analyst II.
All employees are expected and required to adhere to the Company Code of Ethics and Principles of Conduct.
Salary Zone: 04 (I) 06 (II) 07 (III)
Last HR Review Date: 4/24/19
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse