Organization: CITY OF JACKSONVILLE
Title: GIS Specialist Senior
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
GIS Specialist Senior
Location - Jacksonville, FL
Job Number - 2023-05131
Are you looking for a position with a work/life balance? Do you want to earn four weeks off during your first year of employment? Do you want low and no cost health insurance options? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to complete your application now. Work for the city you love!!!
The Information Technology Division is actively seeking a GIS Specialist Senior.
Did you know as a City of Jacksonville employee, you would also have 12 paid holidays and a personal leave day as well? In addition, to health insurance, dental, vision, life insurance and flexible spending plans are also available. City of Jacksonville employees are also eligible for Federal Student Loan Forgiveness after 10 years of public service and on-time payments.
This is professional level work creating and managing GIS data used by many systems. Coordinates the analysis, design, implementation, maintenance, and modification of automated geographic information systems, databases, software, and equipment. The work requires basic understanding and application of the theories, principles, and practices, used to analyze, design, implement, maintain, and modify automated geographic information systems, databases, software, and equipment gained through degree granting schools, or an equivalent level of practical knowledge gained through experience. Contacts require skills in understanding people and are important in identifying user needs and resolving user system problems including skills of persuasiveness, assertiveness, and sensitivity to others point of view that are required to influence behavior, change an opinion, or turn a situation around. The work is standardized in that tasks are covered by substantially diversified procedures and specialized standards governing the operation of computers and peripheral equipment and because of changing priorities or different situations encountered in the work environment, incumbents have the latitude to consider which among the many procedures and specialized standards should be followed, and in what sequence, to assure optimum system operation. The work is performed under limited supervision.
Examples of Work
• Creates map projects using ArcGIS Desktop Advanced software tools.
• Provides ad hoc cartography and data analyses.
• Collects and processes digital data for GIS products.
• Advises and trains customers and system users on GIS methods and techniques.
• Coordinates with others on GIS projects.
• Performs the analysis, design, implementation, maintenance, and modification of geographic information systems, databases, software, and equipment.
• Consults with manager concerning management information systems and programming needs.
• Analyzes functional activities, operations and methods of support and makes recommendations for new and revised systems.
• Provides technical assistance to customers regarding ways to improve operations and automate processes and resolves related problems.
• Devises methods and procedures for conversion of data into proper form for automation and to resolve customer requests.
• Maintains software projects on file servers and coordinates maintenance of related equipment and software.
• Writes, maintains, updates, and modifies automated map projects, related cartographic needs, and documentation.
• Analyzes feature classes, and topography to achieve optimum performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices, techniques, methods, and procedures used to analyze, design, implement, maintain, and modify automated geographic information systems, databases, software, and equipment.
• Knowledge, understanding, and utilization of ESRI’s desktop tools including ArcGIS Desktop and geo-processing extensions and spatial analysis techniques.
• Knowledge of installing and configuring ArcGIS client software (ARCG GIS Desktop Basic, Standard and Advanced versions).
• Knowledge of resolving version conflicts, spatial (topology) and attribute errors that arise during versioning and exporting of updated (edited) data in Arc SDE.
• Knowledge of cartography, map printing and mounting.
• Knowledge of Photoshop for map related image optimization.
• Knowledge and understanding of Geodatabase administration, Google Maps administration, and SQL database management.
• Ability to analyze, design, install, maintain, and modify mapping software systems.
• Ability to perform analysis on feature classes, geography, and topology to achieve optimum performance.
• Ability to perform a needs analysis for customer GIS systems through customer interviews.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment such as personal computer using Microsoft Office and other related software to include SQL Server Express, Adobe Professional, Sketch-Up, and ESRI’s City Engine, or Maya to create 3D models.
• Ability to perform GIS data modeling.
• Ability to learn new concepts and collaborate with others.
• Ability to work with map projects applying generally accepted cartographic techniques, generating map prints in various sizes and configurations using plotters, and producing mounts of map prints.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work projects.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
• Five years of education and/or experience in engineering, geography, planning, automated drafting, or mapping and/or in the automation and maintenance of a GIS database, which includes
• At least two years of experience using ARC/INFO software.
A FULLY COMPLETED ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net.
All Contents © 1999-2022. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse