Organization: City of Brooklyn Park
Title: GIS Internship
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN USA
Application Deadline: 2017-01-17
SALARY: $15.00 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 01/03/17
CLOSING DATE: 01/17/17 11:59 PM
The City of Brooklyn Park is offering an internship in its award-winning GIS program. The position will incorporate all of the duties of a GIS Professional with a heavy focus on training and skills development. Work will include desktop cartography and web mapping, data creation and maintenance, spatial and tabular analysis, and GIS project management. Projects will use both desktop and online tools and cover a wide range of GIS work that supports city departments and the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Analyze and visualize spatial and tabular data for City departments
• Create, maintain and automate GIS datasets
• Update and expand the City's public map gallery and open data collection
• Build and implement data quality assurance models
• Unstructured problem solving
• Participate on the GIS Steering Committee to help prioritize the City's GIS needs
• Assist the GIS Coordinator with a wide variety of desktop and web GIS projects
• Manage GIS and independently lead GIS and IT projects
• Other IT-related duties as necessary
MINIMUM AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Have or pursuing a degree in Geography, GIS, Urban Studies or a closely-related field
• Six (6) months of experience working with ArcGIS for Desktop and related software
• Knowledge of the fundamentals of GIS
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and direction
• Ability to relate to and work with individuals representing a variety of diverse backgrounds and cultures, and various mental and physical abilities
• Ability to professionally exhibit cultural sensitivity, patience, and understanding in the course of work duties
• Ability to provide a level of customer service that meets/exceeds customer expectations
• Experience with creating and editing spatial datasets
• Experience with spatial analysis and geoprocessing
• Experience with ModelBuilder or Python
• Experience in GIS desktop support
• Experience with ArcGIS Online
• Experience with graphic design
• Experience with statistical analysis using tools like Microsoft Excel, SPSS, or Stata
Core Operational Value Statements
Ability to work within the City's value system with a willingness to further promote a staff that is diversified and inclusive, where individuals are valued and respected for their unique differences, experiences, skills, and knowledge.
• TEAMWORK: Teamwork is the key to our success as an organization. Open communication allows all team members the opportunity to exchange information and opinions and acknowledge differences. We believe this will lead to sound decisions that demonstrate good judgment.
• RESPECT: Respect for each other and those we serve is necessary to allow us to function as an effective team. We strive to demonstrate consideration for each team member's input and accept each other as an individual.
• INTEGRITY: Integrity and honesty are essential to build trust, mutual respect and teamwork. Integrity includes maintaining high ethical standards and a sense of honor by character and actions.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Professionalism allows us to provide innovated and skilled services with the highest degree of excellence. We are dedicated professionals who are responsive to the needs of the diverse community we serve.
• PEOPLE: Each team member is valued for their contributions and leadership. We encourage growth, reward accomplishments and create a healthy and balanced work environment.
RESUME REQUIRED: Please attach your resume to your online application before submitting your application for consideration.
ANTICIPATED WORK SCHEDULE: This is a six (6) month, temporary internship position that will work up to 40 hours per week, subject to a flexible schedule.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: February 27, 2017 (start date flexible subject to candidate availability)
ANTICIPATED HIRING WAGE: $15.00 per hour
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
5200 85th Avenue N
Brooklyn Park, MN 55443
GIS INTERN - ITS DIVISION