Organization: Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Working as part of a team with skilled GIS, planning, and engineering professionals, this technical position is responsible for providing cartography, geospatial data creation, spatial analysis, and web mapping in support of the region’s transportation, land use, environmental, and economic planning activities. The GIS Specialist’s primary duties include: 1) Producing highly accurate and detailed cartographic map products; 2) Compiling, analyzing, and managing geospatial data; and 3) Performing spatial analysis that supports the Commission's planning activities. Work is performed in accordance with broadly-defined agency policies and professional standards. Administrative and technical review of assignments will be conducted by management with direct supervision by the Manager of Geospatial Application Development. Innovation and creativity are highly encouraged.
• Design and develop high quality cartographic products.
• Create, modify, maintain, and analyze geospatial datasets.
• Perform spatial analysis for reports, graphics, and maps in support of planning activities.
• Design and implement web maps in collaboration with development staff.
• Meet with staff to provide expertise with defining data needs, project requirements, and required outputs.
• Represent the Office of GIS and the Commission at meetings and public forums as required.
• Assist with the production and maintenance of geospatial application development related projects.
• Design and edit custom queries, scripts and other methods to meet customer needs.
• Develop powerful and vivid data-driven visualizations.
• Proactively identify application inefficiencies and propose solutions.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Proven experience with ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of tools.
• Considerable knowledge of cartographic principles (knowledge of Adobe Illustrator a plus).
• Demonstrated ability to apply analytical methods and sound judgment to solve problems.
• Experience building web maps using ArcGIS Online
• Developing web mapping applications using Leaflet, Google Maps API, CARTO, and MapBox a plus.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with DVRPC staff and client groups.
• Oral and written communications skills that allow accurate translation of user requests into GIS products.
Minimum Experience & Training
ONE TO THREE YEARS of professional Geographic Information Systems (GIS) experience supplemented with such training as may have been gained through graduation from a four-year college or university, with major coursework in GIS, geography, regional or transportation planning, or a related discipline. A Master’s degree can be substituted for one year of experience.