Organization: Western EcoSystems Technology,Inc
Title: GIS Specialist - WY - JF,GG
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Application Deadline: 2017-06-20
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 13 states, has an exciting, challenging and immediate opportunity for a fulltime, senior level Project Manager/Biologist. We are headquartered in Cheyenne, WY and the location of the position will be determined based on the final applicant.
WEST was founded in 1990 and over the last 26 years has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to sophisticated research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
The ideal candidate will have experience and interest in GIS as it is applied to environmental and natural resource subjects. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining spatial data, producing professional maps, and performing spatial analyses for a wide range of environmentally focused projects for industry, government, and private organizations.
Start date: June 1-19, 2017 (exact date is negotiable)
Workload: 30-40 hours/week (regular weekly travel between Cheyenne, Laramie, and Fort Collins may be required.)
Those applying MUST possess the following:
Bachelor’s degree in Geography/GIS or a related field, such as Remote Sensing, Information Technology, Biology, Environmental Science, or Statistics AND 2 or more years of professional GIS experience
• Master’s degree in Geography/GIS or a related field, such as Remote Sensing, Information Technology, Biology, Environmental Science, or Statistics AND 6 or more months of professional GIS experience
• Proficient with Esri ArcGIS Desktop Suite
• Ability to write and manipulate scripts utilizing Python and ArcPy
• Strong understanding of cartographic principles
• Strong experience developing and maintaining spatial data
• Working knowledge of SQL queries
• Proficient with ModelBuilder and tool creation in ArcGIS
• Experience in task automation
• Experience troubleshooting GIS technical issues
• Great attention to detail
• Strong problem solving skills
• Highly organized
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as a part of team
• Responds well to, and thrives in a fast-paced work environment
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Additional Preferred Skills:
• Knowledge and experience with QGIS
• Experience working with environmentally based data at Federal, State, local, and project specific scales
• Experience or knowledge utilizing other geospatial applications and programs such ArcGIS Online, ArcExplorer, Arc Earth, Google Earth Engine, and Google Earth
• Experience with GPS technologies and related softwares such as Garmin, Trimble, Terrasync/Pathfinder Office, and ArcPad
• Experience with or knowledge of biological field survey protocols, sampling methods, or ecological concepts, especially in relation to natural resource conservation or renewable energy
Job requires the person filling this position be able to work safely; appear for work on time; to follow instructions from manager and team leader; to interact effectively with coworkers and clients; and to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
Join WEST and you will discover a company comprised of dedicated employees, with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive Medical (working 30 or more hours a week)
• Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
• Scheduling Flexibility
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
To Apply: Click “Apply Now” (or visit the WEST, Inc. Careers Page and select the job in which you are applying for). The application system allows for only one attachment (.doc or .pdf file) so combine the following prior to uploading:
1. Cover letter convincing the hiring manager why they should interview you
2. Resume which includes education, current and prior employment (with dates, address and phone number for each employer)
3. Three professional references (preferably those that have supervised you in the past) with phone numbers and email addresses
*Please note email applications will not be accepted*